Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 98 1500 SE Quit at the stop light the other day. Nothing After setting awhile, starts right up. Checked output at battery,volts are not going up but down. Thinking it would be better for someone to test with the thing off, I remove the alternator after some phone calls no one can test off the bike. GREAT My question is if I decide to replace it I'm not sure what Amp I have and should I go to a high output?
One site said I need to replace the White wire to a larger gauge if going to higher amp, because of wire getting hot. I have a Hitachi LR 140-708.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Is it made in China? They were know to weak windings, poor connection inside where they used crimp on connectors rather than soldered connectors, or it could just be sticking brushes from dust in there.
I have read posts on the reportedly need of upgraded wire by some Ebayer selling Chinese junk alternators.
If you want San upgraded one get a Compufire or have Ken Hemmings (member) rebuild upgrade yours.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The way to test if its the alt is do a cold voltage check and monitor volts as the motor gets good and hot. That is when they drop off and loose the current flow.
Do you have a volt meter on your bike? Best to have one the is easily viewable w/o looking around anything as you ride.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Your screen name fits, eh!!!

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
I bought a rebuilt unit from Ken Heming and have not had any problems with it. I would not buy a unit off ebay as I have read that some members have had problems with them going bad in a short time.
Thanks
Mike

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
I recently bought one from Ken. I even called him about the install. He actually answers the phone. Great guy!
Although some prefer the Compufire. Speacially since it is basically a GM product and anyone can work on them.
Either way, you will see and here the difference in the higher amps.

·
Premium Member
3,725 Posts
Just a thought .... I picked up a spare Comp-u-Fire off Ebay last month for $120 and change (it was a hair too cheap to let pass I thought, cheap enough to fix if needed even), checked it at work on tester (have to be careful but it'll test with the belt pulled over the vanes) .... and it's great. It was part of a bike somebody was parting out after a crash as I recall.

I already have one on the bike, it works great but back in 2005 it suffered defect in the rotor someplace and a local alternator / motor / generator shop pulled a new rotor from their stock and replaced it while I was waiting. It is after all, just a Delcco Remy (Delphi) CS-121 with a different nose and drive adapter and thus parts are plentiful (including internal regulator / rectifier, rotor, stator, bearings, etc). The Comp-u-Fire has an internal regulator/rectifier that is temperature compensating .... it is intended to drop back as it warms up as generally, batteries are

I agree though, Heming (good rep too) or Comp-u-Fire is the way to go unless just getting your's fixed. You may not have a need for higher charging ability 90% of the time, but those times when stuck in traffic or at a light it prevents drawing on the battery. Maybe look for a used early 1500 alternator (is it pre '96?) as they seemed to have a better rep .... and have it gone through?

First though ... :) ... have your's looked at, maybe just dust making the brushes stick in the holders or maybe worn brushes?

Do you have a volt meter on your bike? Best to have one the is easily viewable w/o looking around anything as you ride.
I second this! ;) ...

On my '85 GL1200 I had installed a SunPro Volt meter when I first bought it, in 1997 as I was riding it was this volt meter that told me my stator ws dying a slow death as suddenly it was taking 10 miles or more to get volts back up after a short ride through a small town where as usually it's up almost as soon as I'm moving.

I had installed one on my '97 GL1500 Trike just a year before that day in 2005 when I was riding and noticed at a glance I was having a problem develope, and did so while the Trike was still running and I knew I was withion a mile of an intended gas / rest stop with the group at Orchard Gap. It was cool, raining, foggy .... and that was preferable to finding out as a bike / trike goes "blaahhhhhh-kaputt" in the middle of a set of twisties, etc.

So I'm "two for two" at having a volt meter tell me in advance something was amiss before it was a serious problem. :brokedown:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.