Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Thanks guys!
I found a shop that is certified for doing rebuilds and the tech there said no problem testing the regulator. (For Ken Bergen who is "local" it is in North Van)
Well local is relative.
The last time I was North Vancouver was 30 years ago to pickup a lathe.
If I had an alternator to test and the shops 10 minutes from me couldn't/wouldn't test it and the alternatives were NV or Calgary I'd be heading East.:ROFL:

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
No wonder, dummy. You're suppose to fix them in the kitchen. Get a clue.
I tried that and kept stepping on and breaking parts trying to get to my Cheerios.

Perhaps Cheerios in the living room and bike parts in the kitchen would work.
I'm so confuzzed.:?

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well I installed the repaired alternator (new voltage regulator) and was at first very excited, now I'm just confused, more than usual.... :?
When I first started the bike the charging voltage jumped to over 14 volts. In fact it seemed to be too high as it was around 14.3 - 14.4 volts when rev at 2K. In fact I even shower over 13 volts just at an idle.

I took the bike for a ride and the voltage was high 13s to 14.4 volts.
Then I noticed the voltage guage dropped down to 12 volts. Unsure of the guage I went home and used the fluke on the battery directly. Even when revs at 2K it was now only showing about 13.3 Volts. SO it is chargeing but not by much.

I plan on calling the alternator tech tomorrow morning to get his take on this.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You never said what year your bike is. The 96-2000 years, Honda went to Chinese alternators and are known for the windings losing a solder joint when hot. They will show output until they warm up.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
The Compufire runs at around 14.4v pretty much all the time so I have to check my Battery water at a regular rate as it will dry the cells out. But that is a small price to pay for never running out of juice at idle. Which did happen to me on my 1993 once.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
The Compufire runs at around 14.4v pretty much all the time so I have to check my Battery water at a regular rate as it will dry the cells out. But that is a small price to pay for never running out of juice at idle. Which did happen to me on my 1993 once.
Yes Compufire is a great high output, but you are to be using an AGM battery with it so the water doesn't get boiled out.:readit:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
You're right Newday. I thought it was in my avatar section. It is a '90 SE.
I have the AGM battery.
It was before the forum changeover but that was all lost. There is supposed to be a way to add it again but I haven't figured that out yet!:sadguy:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Guess that is what the garage is for, which I have now added.
The garage doesn't show on yours, did you set it to who can view it? Or not??

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Oh, I see. I had the permissions on but had only put text in. I had to add a picture to get it to show.
So the bike is mainly charging now but first thing this morning was low voltage, 12.4 volts for the first 15 minutes, then jumped up to 13.8 volts.
I checked and my AGM battery is actually 3 years old so maybe I'm fighting a battery on it's way out.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.