Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 88 Gl1500 and have developed an an alternator noise, now how can I isolate the alternator from the drive gear in the motor? Can I remove the alternator and start the bike?
Thanks for any help Peter:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

Hi Peter removing the alternator and starting the bike would leave the crankcase open the best thing to do is get a long screwdriver start the engine and place one end at the alt and your ear at the handle end and keep moveing the screw end around the alt and its area the bearings are prone to failure also the drive rubbers get hard over time and crack they then cause a vibration on the alt drive shaft you will hear all this with the screwdriver

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto agnogel ., a cheap mechanics stethascope is easier on the ear though.
In Manitoba get the stethascope at Princess auto., $15.00.
You can unbolt the alt. and pull it out a couple inches to disengage the drive , leave it wired and be sure to support it and not short anything. If it has no ground wire on it use a booster cable to ground the alt. to the frame just to be sure. Bike will start and run on the battery.
At 88000 miles it might be a good time to remove and checkout both alt. and starter anyway.

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Ditto agnogel ., a cheap mechanics stethascope is easier on the ear though.
In Manitoba get the stethascope at Princess auto., $15.00.
You can unbolt the alt. and pull it out a couple inches to disengage the drive , leave it wired and be sure to support it and not short anything. If it has no ground wire on it use a booster cable to ground the alt. to the frame just to be sure. Bike will start and run on the battery.
At 88000 miles it might be a good time to remove and checkout both alt. and starter anyway.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.