Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put my meter on my altenator while my bike was in full choke and my meter was reading 12.6 dc volts is this a good or bad reading? The battery is fully charged.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,696 Posts
Depends on the RPMs at the time.

What RPM was the engine turning when you measured that?
Also, what was the state of the battery? Had it been on a battery tender before you started the engine? If not, then I think what you observed is normal.

What voltage do you observe after the engine is fully warmed up and the battery topped off and the engine turning say about 2,500+ RPM?

·
Premium Member
12,869 Posts
also check the battery volts with engine not running . It could be the scaling of your meter is low . From not running to running you should have several volts of increase . If you watch the meter while cranking over the engine it should drop several volts while battery is under load .

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
My first thought is that it is not good. A better test is the trend. Is the voltage increasing or decreasing? If it is dropping you are on your way to a dead battery and more investigation is required.

·
Premium Member
67,802 Posts
How many miles on the bike ?? That's too low voltage.. On the 1500 it's easy job, I'd say pull your alt, blow it out, clean the commutator and put in a new set of brushes

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.