Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the screw allen pin on the front caliper, the one that holds the break pads is spoiled... the insert is gone:wtf:
what a week boy! it seams to me an impossible mission to take it out. did something like that ever happened to anyone else in here or i am the only jack ass of the week? :ROFL:
how to take it out now? drilling it?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
the screw allen pin on the front caliper, the one that holds the break pads is spoiled... the insert is gone ...how to take it out now? drilling it?
The hanger pin (Item #19)? ...What "Insert" are you talking about?

·
Premium Member
928 Posts
I think he is saying the allen head is stripped or rounded out.

I want to say you can use a pair of vise grips to grab the pin in the middle between the pads and work it loose that way

if it is the bolt I'm thinking it is

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I think he is saying the allen head is stripped or rounded out.

I want to say you can use a pair of vise grips to grab the pin in the middle between the pads and work it loose that way

if it is the bolt I'm thinking it is

yes!!! you got my point!!! but i don't think i will be able...because i wasn't able with the tool inside:praying:

·
Registered
239 Posts
You should be able to break it loose like AJ1500 said.
just take caliper loose from fork(2 bolts) May have to push pads out to get pliers in it.
Turn the caliper on its side or upside down. install vise grips and break loose. This my opinion! Vise Grip brand works best. But any MAJOR brand should be ok.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
You should be able to break it loose like AJ1500 said.
just take caliper loose from fork(2 bolts) May have to push pads out to get pliers in it.
Turn the caliper on its side or upside down. install vise grips and break loose. This my opinion! Vise Grip brand works best. But any MAJOR brand should be ok.

thanks for your help as always! tomorrow i will give it an hard try and will let you know:bow:

·
Premium Member
3,454 Posts
Remember: PB Blaster or any good penetrating oil is your Friend!!! I know!! PB helped me out while replacing the brake pads/rotors on my wife's '02 Tundra!!

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
nope no way, with pliers do not work,,,i will have to take down the caliper and work on it in another way

·
1,695 Posts
Dont drill out this pin .
I would find a sligtly larger TORX bit and use it instead off the 5mm ALLEN bit .
You should be able to punch the rigth sice TORX bit into the rounded out ALLEN hole ,(remember THE RIGTH sice , - not to small and not to big , - and be sure it is punched fully dovn ), and this way be able to remove the pin.
Iff you dont have any TORX bit , you could "fabricate" (= grind ) an 6 mm Allen bit Down to maybe 5,3 mm and use the technic discribeb above .

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dont drill out this pin .
I would find a sligtly larger TORX bit and use it instead off the 5mm ALLEN bit .
You should be able to punch the rigth sice TORX bit into the rounded out ALLEN hole ,(remember THE RIGTH sice , - not to small and not to big , - and be sure it is punched fully dovn ), and this way be able to remove the pin.
Iff you dont have any TORX bit , you could "fabricate" (= grind ) an 6 mm Allen bit Down to maybe 5,3 mm and use the technic discribeb above .
This is whAt i Will tra tondo next edjvin.. But sure i Will need ti heat up the area around

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Pin removal

I've run into this several times. Here are a couple of methods that I've used with varying degrees of success. First let me say that whenever I can't break these loose without minimal effort, I stop, use a small drift punch and give a good solid blow down in the base of the allen cavity to loosen any corrosion that has formed on the threads and tapper of the pin. Then I resort to a allen wrench on a 3/8" socket in my impact driver. But I understand your beyond that point. So here would be my next steps:
1- Use a left hand drill bit that is slightly larger than the allen wrench. I used this method with a hammerdrill and had good luck. Just remember that your not trying to remove material here, your just trying to get the left hand bit to bite and back out the pin.
2- I also have a set of small diameter spiral screw extractors that I also use in an impact driver. Good solid blows.
With either method, your going to have better results if you remove the caliper from the bike and secure it in a vice. It's going to cause you to have to bleed the system later, but you'll save yourself much frustration in the long run. And remember to apply a little anti-seeze compound upon reassembly. This is just what has worked for me... I sure there are others that have more methods. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
I could not get mine out on either side so I bought a set on Ebay......I have an extra set of calipers if you are interested
Ed
near Phila

·
Premium Member
203 Posts
I have a set of these and they work good.

·
Premium Member
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
i made it....again i have been lucky: i heated up just a little bit and i made it with a torx but man..... i had to hammer that bitch inside deep and it and i used a center tool in order to devide the effort and not twisting the whole thing.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
if you're talking about the little plastic sleeve the keeps the pad pin from banging on metal....I had the same issues noise was driving me nuts...replaced it with rubber/plastic tubing from an unused brake bleeder kit..fits perfectly and stops the metal on metal action.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.