Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My GL1500 appears to be fitted with anti dive units on both fork legs. Should they both work or is one "blanked off" ? The external components seem the same .
Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I think this is normal. Mine has it on both also. I am in the middle of a fork rebuild now due to one seal leaking on the right side. I think they both work.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

RON WYLIE wrote:
My GL1500 appears to be fitted with anti dive units on both fork legs. Should they both work or is one "blanked off" ? The external components seem the same .
Thanks
They work off the calipers so when you use the foot pedal the left one is activated and with the hand lever the right one.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks for the replies, so far. When I had the forks out for new springs, one anti-dive seemed to move but the other was rock solid, hence my question.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

The solid one must have a clogged orifice. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for the replies. My right hand (as you look at the front from the riders seat or the one under the throttle) fork anti-dive unit is stuck solid. the left hand side works fine. Before I start stripping it down can someone please confirm that BOTH anti dive units should work (seems sense !) ?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

The answer is BOTH Anti Dives should work. Just stripped down the stuck one and the piston is solid within the anti-dive cover. Luckily I have a spare pair of forks (never know when you need a replacement !) so I have taken a piston and cover from them and now both sides work. Not investigated the stuck one yet but this may be the answer to why my front end does not seem right (fingers firmly crossed). Only a ride tomorrow will tell.

Strange, but both forks were completely overhauled by the main Honda agent about 6 months ago !

·
Premium Member
21,185 Posts
imported post

RON WYLIE wrote:

Strange, but both forks were completely overhauled by the main Honda agent about 6 months ago !

[/quote]

Well almost completely eh Ron!!:cool:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:smiler: Yep, almost !

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Try boiling the assy. in some antifreeze. It'll bust it loose with very little force. We do this all the time for model airplane engines. I even swiped my wifes old crock pot for this! Good job, by the way! jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

That's a novel idea jimsjinx. Not tried that before even on my model aero engines, but don't suppose it would do them much good as I only use electric motors now ! :smiler:

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

When replacing the piston (plunger - Part 21) I noticed that the hole in it was not round, but more of an oval. There is a collar (18) that fits into it so is it important that the hole is round ? (think it should be !), in which case I need to replace the piston. Also there are part 26 (ring stopper) and part 38 (Bush) which I have never seen on my Wing since I have owned it (9 years). Are these parts essential as well ?

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

Ron , on the set of forks I have the piston has the elongated hole .I believe the reason for the elongated hole isbecause the brake caliper arm pivots , so theconnecting pin moves in an arcnot a straight line.I did brakes for another member here several months back and he was missing the steel bushing and snap ring on one side . I think that was lost by a careless mechanic over the yrs .

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

I am delighted to report on the result of changing the "stuck" anti dive unit. The Wing is almost back to its best and the difference the change is made is brilliant.:smiler: The steering is now positive and front end confidence is back. No longer does it feel "weird" . I knew something was wrong (like you do with your own ride) but it has taken me a long time, and some expense, to find the cause of the trouble. Who would have thought that an anti dive unit could cause such a problem ?
Thanks to all who contributed. :claps:

PS Have ordered the missing parts (see above) from my dealer

·
Premium Member
351 Posts
imported post

I think you'll find the part you mention should indeed be oval. I ordered a new set because I wasn't sure and they weren't any different. Also realised that I was missing the circlips so added those too...but it begs the question of how useful they are since the fork and anti-dive worked fine without them.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Think the rubber and clip are there to prevent the collar from falling off when the forks are removed ! :smiler:

Anyway that another £14 spent on my Wing (worth every penny)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.