Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
good morning,i have a leak when the bike is on the kickstand .bike sits for a few days to a week.took left side plastic off today found a drip coming from left side cover for timing belts.does not sound right to me.any help would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
There's nothing inside the TB cover to leak coolanat. Lots of other possibilities. You can visually inspect the plumbing in the front lower part of the engine. If it looks like it's coming from the top front of the engine, the best way to inspect it is to remove a cooling fan (I usually do the left one). The last time I saw something similar it was a loose gear clamp on coolant hose to the thermostat, I've also seen this large Y shaped hose crack. Another time it was the thermostat oring. I've also seen the crossover line at the top of the rads leak. A really common one to watch for is the grommet on top of the reservoir tank rotting out...In that case it will only leak when coolant is exchanged from rad to reservoir.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
dizzy hit all the leakage spots above the water pump.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Although I have seen another less common was a locator pin on the bottom of the reservoir tank where the 2 pins go into 2 holes on the frame. one of the pins or one of the holes was not placed properly at the factory, which caused stress on the pin that was hollow and there was a slight leak after rides.
That took taking off plastic and lots of looking with a flashlight to find that the leak was above the engine and steering neck area.
He ended up getting another tank and opening up the holes in the frame more to relieve the stress point.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Ok thnx. I'll look @ the top of the resy tank.that's a possibility. It's all dry in front of the engine.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I think i remember reading somewhere that one of the bolts holding the cam belt cover on can need a sealant as there is coolant behind it.

·
Premium Member
628 Posts
I think i remember reading somewhere that one of the bolts holding the cam belt cover on can need a sealant as there is coolant behind it.
I don't think so. Those cam cover bolts go into tapped treads in the engine. The treads don't go near coolant.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Seems like these nuisance leaks show up when the weather gets cold...and you run the bike and get it hot. Good opportunity to find and fix.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
well i am at a lost here.still dripping antifreeze from front of the left side timing belt cover.small drip but none the less

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Highwaybum take a look at the metal pipes that carry coolant to the head. I had one seeping when cold. O ring not holding when cools off cleaned and applied high temp rtv sealant where pipe enters head. It has been 4 years and all is well. Did not have to tear down anything. I searched for days trying to find it also. Thought it was coming from timing belt area also.This was on the right head and coolant was gathering on top of eng and running forward and down front.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
I don't think so. Those cam cover bolts go into tapped treads in the engine. The treads don't go near coolant.
Not familiar with the GW1500, but on many car engines various threaded holes for this and that go into the water jacket. On some engines the bolts that hold the timing cover on go into the water jacket, and if they leak, coolant gets into the oil. Bad design, but it happens. Maybe not on the GW, but I would at least confirm it before assuming that is not the case.

·
Premium Member
711 Posts

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Highwaybum take a look at the metal pipes that carry coolant to the head. I had one seeping when cold. O ring not holding when cools off cleaned and applied high temp rtv sealant where pipe enters head. It has been 4 years and all is well. Did not have to tear down anything. I searched for days trying to find it also. Thought it was coming from timing belt area also.This was on the right head and coolant was gathering on top of eng and running forward and down front.
Good sugg...I've seen those leak too. I understand what you guys are getting at with this 'threaded' hole suggestion but I don't think so. I've had Tbelt covers off many 1500's and never a drop of coolant. That would be a new one on me.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...the best way to inspect it is to remove a cooling fan (I usually do the left one). The last time I saw something similar it was a loose gear clamp on coolant hose to the thermostat...
+1

-The right side fan is slightly easier to remove (because no carb heater tube to deal with)
-With the fan/s removed, run the engine until it get's warm enough for the Thermostat to open (typically about 1/2-3/4 up the temperature scale)... At that point, if you have a leak from the Thermostat, then it will appear around the neck of it, and/or the radiator connections.
-The location of the drip (left side timing belt cover) is non-specific, as that will happen with the Source being in any one of several locations above it.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
highmiler i think your on to something here.i found a small pool of antifreeze on top of engine in that area.could be running down in behind cover for timing belts like you said.have not time yet to check it out any further.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
There was also the issue of tape being left on the rad nipples and the hoses being installed over it at the factory causing leaks later on.

For any type of leak you need to start at the top and work your way down.Doesn't necessarily run off the bottom anywhere near where the leak is.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
highwaybum. I pulled the rubber flap back out of the way and pulled plug wire and used a mirror to see where the pipe fits into the head. I used brake parts cleaner to clean it and then air pressure. I used a small flat bent screw driver and my little finger to push the high temp rtv into the area around the pipe. Let it set for about 48 hours. I did this when the eng was completly cooled off. Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ten four.I will try all advise given.much abliged.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.