Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
61 - 80 of 116 Posts

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
Hi, I just watched the installation Video for the pivot link. I am some what confused as to the action shown in the video. After installation it shows the shifter shaft with an up and down movement as you shift the gears. Is not this movement what you are trying to eliminate? Maybe I'm not comprehending the instructions. Thanks J.S.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Hi, I just watched the installation Video for the pivot link. I am some what confused as to the action shown in the video. After installation it shows the shifter shaft with an up and down movement as you shift the gears. Is not this movement what you are trying to eliminate? Maybe I'm not comprehending the instructions. Thanks J.S.
The motion you see is the correct sweeping motion. Watch the video again.

I go into greater detail on how it works in the thread below. Check out page 4.

http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/473554-gl1500-shifter-brace-4.html

·
Premium Member
130 Posts
peppi-le-pew,
Just installed it on my 1500se and took me about 1 hour to get it on and back together. Took it out for spin and what a differant it made in shifting. Feels more solid and easier shifting. Thanks for engineering it.

·
Premium Member
55 Posts
Shifter pivot

Hi
I just finished installing the shifter pivot. The time it took was about 1 hour. Im very happy with this it works great. Just one prouble with it with the amout of plastic that has to come off its hard not to start other projects. Like my day started well I had plans on just doing the install of the shifter pivot. But the lower covers had some scratches so that means both side came of and prep and paint. Then no better time for a oil change. Then might as well check side stand bolt and paint side stand all told after about 8 hrs Iwas done with the hour long install of the shifter pivot.
Thanks
Bull463

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
Installed mine yesterday, it took a lot of play out of the shifter. Fits perfect! Finished putting shield back on tonight.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hello All
New to the site and will appreciate any advise.. I ordered a pivot shifter, I understand if you use a heal toe shift, you need a longer bolt to properly attach. I believe it was recommended 7/8 inch longer? Is this accurate and any thoughts on where I might get this bolt.
Thanks in advance

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I did it. Order the Shifter brace from Cyclemax. Took about half hour to 45 minutes to install with 2 yr old grandson helping. Was a little reluctant to jump on something that is to good to be true, based on experience. But this is one time that I did not get burned. Could not believe the difference this shifter brace made to my 1990 1500, love it.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Hello All
New to the site and will appreciate any advise.. I ordered a pivot shifter, I understand if you use a heal toe shift, you need a longer bolt to properly attach. I believe it was recommended 7/8 inch longer? Is this accurate and any thoughts on where I might get this bolt.
Thanks in advance
Any local hardware store. Thread is 8x1.25. If you asked when ordering, I would have included one at no charge.

Thanks cliff,

·
Premium Member
162 Posts
Aux Shifter Pivot

I just picked up my bike last night from my mechanic. He installed new tires , rear brakes , service check for the upcoming trip next week. But most important he installed the Shifter Pivot for me.This is my endorsement 100%++++ for this unit.

I went to his club meeting and he brought my bike to the meeting, three other 1500 owners were checking out my bike after the installation. He stated he was very impressed with the unit and how smooth the bike now shifts and I agree. It now shifts so positive without "searching" with your toe to get a good positive shift, it was kind of like waiting for the gears to engage.

What was really nice was I explained that I won a gift certificate from Cyclemax in the annual Steve Saunders drawing and used it to purchase the pivot shifter kit. Of course that was back in the winter but my main riding season is just now starting so the reason for the delay.

My mechanic is a one man operation and he has been working on 1200's and 1500's for years and really knows his stuff. He did a lot of engine splits to replace the gears and shifting forks as well as building some trikes so he knows his way around. When he pulled the rear wheel he called and said you need new bushings (106,000 miles), you can trust what he says so a quick call to Cyclemax and they were here in two days.

The Shifter Pivot Bushing sounds like some guys say when they read about, "it is too good to be true" but let me assure you it is exactly what it says it is. Thanks for a great product and an easy way to correct a problem with the 1500's.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a new to me GL1500 trike and this is the first accessory that I added to it, the first few days that I had the trike I keep catching neutral during my shifts and just thought it was me being new to the wing, after reading about the pivot I decided to buy one. It took me about an hour and a half to install since it was my first experience working on a wing but with a little patience and following the instructions it is quite easy to install. The pivot made a definite difference in the way the bike shifted, no more neutral hits while shifting and the shifts where crisp and quick just like my VTX and XR650, I highly recommend the shifter pivot.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I just purchased a new to me GL1500 trike and this is the first accessory that I added to it, the first few days that I had the trike I keep catching neutral during my shifts and just thought it was me being new to the wing, after reading about the pivot I decided to buy one. It took me about an hour and a half to install since it was my first experience working on a wing but with a little patience and following the instructions it is quite easy to install. The pivot made a definite difference in the way the bike shifted, no more neutral hits while shifting and the shifts where crisp and quick just like my VTX and XR650, I highly recommend the shifter pivot.

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
I could use some advice. I installed this shifter pivot and when the bike is cold it works very well. After it warms up shifts seem to change a little. This morning on my commute to work I noticed that the bike wouldn't shift into 1st until I was moving slowly. Then it went it fine. I also hit a couple neutrals when downshifting at stops.

Overall this has made shifts feel much more precise. When I first installed the shifter pivot it worked flawlessly and shifts were amazingly good. But there seems to be a change once the bike is at running temps. Could use some advice on how I can tweek this. should I let the bike get up to running temp them retorque everything? I kept torque modest. I tightened both the pivot and shifter pinch bolts at 9in lbs.

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
I could use some advice. I installed this shifter pivot and when the bike is cold it works very well. After it warms up shifts seem to change a little. This morning on my commute to work I noticed that the bike wouldn't shift into 1st until I was moving slowly. Then it went it fine. I also hit a couple neutrals when downshifting at stops.

Overall this has made shifts feel much more precise. When I first installed the shifter pivot it worked flawlessly and shifts were amazingly good. But there seems to be a change once the bike is at running temps. Could use some advice on how I can tweek this. should I let the bike get up to running temp them retorque everything? I kept torque modest. I tightened both the pivot and shifter pinch bolts at 9in lbs.
I also have experienced this phenomenon of shifting being a bit more difficult ..Finding Neutral is sometimes a challenge as well - But if I release the clutch just a little bit it pops right in as it should so I can adjust my technique to accommodate the better overall shifting.
With 130,000 miles on my bike I have learned some habits from the old sloppier shifting that worked, that now need to be 'unlearned'

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
I also have experienced this phenomenon of shifting being a bit more difficult ..Finding Neutral is sometimes a challenge as well - But if I release the clutch just a little bit it pops right in as it should so I can adjust my technique to accommodate the better overall shifting.
With 130,000 miles on my bike I have learned some habits from the old sloppier shifting that worked, that now need to be 'unlearned'
I have been doing same as you. Release clutch a little and it will slide into gear. Not seeming to happen on upshift in any gear. I think I notice downshift from 3rd to 2nd sometimes end up as neutral. Bike does not want to shift to 1st but will go into 1st as I nearing a stop.

This on a 1991 with almost 30,000 miles. I wondering if it could be steel and aluminum expanding different.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #79

9 inch pounds is about 1 lb of torque. I suspect everything has shifted out of alignment due to loose fasteners. I would open it up and tighten the block bolt to at least 15 ft lbs. Tighten the cinch bolt to 100 inch lbs. Heat the pivot with a heat gun to expand it. Tighten the cinch bolt while it is still hot. Don't overdo it. Start all over again.

Cliff,

·
Registered
653 Posts
Don't know if you changed your oil recently, or changed brands of oil, but oil plays a big part in the smoothness of shifting. I'm on my 4th brand, and have finally found one I'm happy with. Tried Rotella T, then Rotella T6 Synthetic, then Mobil 1 20W50 Synthetic Motorcycle, and am now with Valvoline 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle. I've been looking for a synthetic that will shift well, and the Valvoline so far, is doing really well. Will probably try the Mobil 1 10W40 Synthetic Motorcycle next, since I'm partial to Mobil, just to see if it might be better than the Valvoline. Anyway, just thought I'd mention the oil as a possible shifter problem. I know it has played a big part in my shifter smoothness and accuracy. I also have the shifter pivot, that works great regarding steadiness of the shift mechanism.

61 - 80 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.