Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
81 - 100 of 116 Posts

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
9 inch pounds is about 1 lb of torque. I suspect everything has shifted out of alignment due to loose fasteners. I would open it up and tighten the block bolt to at least 15 ft lbs. Tighten the cinch bolt to 100 inch lbs. Heat the pivot with a heat gun to expand it. Tighten the cinch bolt while it is still hot. Don't overdo it. Start all over again.

Cliff,
Sorry you right. I meant 9ft lbs. I dont have heat gun. Would hair dryer get it hot enough?

·
Unofficial Youtube Addict
2,603 Posts
Sorry you right. I meant 9ft lbs. I dont have heat gun. Would hair dryer get it hot enough?
I loosened everything up and then reset. Torqued to spec and used heatgun. It improved but still getting small issue with accidentally getting neutrals. Annoying when try to pull out and bike sits in neutral but I dont know until I let clutch out.

I think I going to try to loosen everything again and see if I can't get it right. Also I need to send you a PM for something else. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
653 Posts
Just wanted to give a HUGE Thumbs Up on this product… :bow: :bow:

Have had mine for right at a year, and not only was the difference immediately noticeable, it just keeps on working properly… ;);)

THANK YOU AND… Kudo's Peppi… Kudo's :bow::bow::bow:

PS: My 1500 is equipped with floorboards & heel/toe shifter. Not sure of brand of them, but this device fit and is working GREAT… ;)

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
632 Posts
I loosened everything up and then reset. Torqued to spec and used heatgun. It improved but still getting small issue with accidentally getting neutrals. Annoying when try to pull out and bike sits in neutral but I dont know until I let clutch out.

I think I going to try to loosen everything again and see if I can't get it right. Also I need to send you a PM for something else. Thanks.
I have had a similar problem on one of my GL1500's. When I put the pivot on the second GL1500 I noticed there is some rotational play in the assembly on the shift shaft prior to tightening. This play may make the difference between a full shift and a partial occasional shift. ON the 2nd install I did not fully tighten the pivot block on the shaft until I had made sure it was completely rotated down/back to allow full engagement motion of the lever. If it doesn't engage completely it will result in a partial shift, engaging the cogs until they feel the torque from engaged gears when it pops out. This play is a very small movement - but it may make the difference ...

I am going to take my first bike apart and make this small adjustment to see if it gets better - I am confident it will..

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
OK Pepi,

I admit to being quite dense, and I have not checked this on my recently acquired 91 since I have not even run it yet, but I am having trouble getting my ears around this.

Did Honda actually put an oil seal on a shaft that does NOT pivot around its own axis? And expect it to last as it should?

I didn't know such a thing would be possible. I'm hoping I have just not processed some of your information correctly. It sounds as tho the shaft actually must move in an arc rather than pivot on center as I would expect.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts trying to picture this operation, but it must work somehow...:?

·
Premium Member
1,064 Posts
OK Pepi,

I admit to being quite dense, and I have not checked this on my recently acquired 91 since I have not even run it yet, but I am having trouble getting my ears around this.

Did Honda actually put an oil seal on a shaft that does NOT pivot around its own axis? And expect it to last as it should?

I didn't know such a thing would be possible. I'm hoping I have just not processed some of your information correctly. It sounds as tho the shaft actually must move in an arc rather than pivot on center as I would expect.

Any clarification would be greatly appreciated. My head hurts trying to picture this operation, but it must work somehow...:?
The shaft you see does travel in an arc but it's not the shaft with the seal on it. This shaft is fastened to a second shaft that simply turns about its own axis. This puppy has an oil seal on it. The seal looked like a real mofo to replace so I left it as-is.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
Hi Terry,

If I'm in the right diagram I think this is the shaft the shifter attaches to (#17) If I'm guessing right all it has to do is cam the tab on #16 and rotate shaft #15 clockwise or counter-clockwise to perform the shift.

If it is I can't see how the inside end could move in an arc, assuming it is seated into a corresponding blind hole. I wish I could find a wire-frame drawing of this engine so I could 'see inside'. It would be obvious to me then and I could make some sense of it.

....actually, after looking at this diagram again, the inside end of #17 might not be located in a solid location because it looks like that end would be up against the washers, spring and shaft #15.... I suppose I need to get back to work and perfect my x-ray glasses so I don't have to take things apart to understand the relationship of the internal parts.

Maybe when I get into the R&R I'll see what's going on and my little light will come on!

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #88
Hi Terry,

If I'm in the right diagram I think this is the shaft the shifter attaches to (#17) If I'm guessing right all it has to do is cam the tab on #16 and rotate shaft #15 clockwise or counter-clockwise to perform the shift.

If it is I can't see how the inside end could move in an arc, assuming it is seated into a corresponding blind hole. I wish I could find a wire-frame drawing of this engine so I could 'see inside'. It would be obvious to me then and I could make some sense of it.

....actually, after looking at this diagram again, the inside end of #17 might not be located in a solid location because it looks like that end would be up against the washers, spring and shaft #15.... I suppose I need to get back to work and perfect my x-ray glasses so I don't have to take things apart to understand the relationship of the internal parts.

Maybe when I get into the R&R I'll see what's going on and my little light will come on!
The beauty in this pivot is the KISS mentality behind the creation. It is so simple I don't know why it wasn't though of years ago. The shaft in which the pivot attaches to moves in an arc motion. The piece the pivot attaches to is actually a shaft extension. The seal installs inboard into the crankcase. Not the shaft extension.

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
The beauty in this pivot is the KISS mentality behind the creation. It is so simple I don't know why it wasn't though of years ago. The shaft in which the pivot attaches to moves in an arc motion. The piece the pivot attaches to is actually a shaft extension. The seal installs inboard into the crankcase. Not the shaft extension.
It sounds like the shaft that your brace attaches to (that the shift lever mounts to) is not located in this diagram then.

I'll do some digging in the shop manual and the world wide web and see if I can get a clear idea of the parts involved and their locations.

I'll quit bothering folks on this thread. I appreciate all your information and help everybody!

·
Premium Member
477 Posts
I hope this helps.
AHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That made my little light come on! I didn't have a diagram showing the connecting shaft between the one in the break-down and where the toe lever attaches.

Thanks for saving me a metric ton of time chasing down that explanation! Little things like that nag at me until I get them figured out. I like to know how things work.......

I did go out and check the free-play on this bike. It does not seem wallowing around bad, but I think this will be the time to do your mod. In the next month or so when I get to that area of the machine I'll contact you and see if you have your Aux. Pivot in stock!

Thanks again, I am now on the same page as the rest you folks:claps:

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #92
AHAAAAAAAAAAA!!!

That made my little light come on! I didn't have a diagram showing the connecting shaft between the one in the break-down and where the toe lever attaches.

Thanks for saving me a metric ton of time chasing down that explanation! Little things like that nag at me until I get them figured out. I like to know how things work.......

I did go out and check the free-play on this bike. It does not seem wallowing around bad, but I think this will be the time to do your mod. In the next month or so when I get to that area of the machine I'll contact you and see if you have your Aux. Pivot in stock!

Thanks again, I am now on the same page as the rest you folks:claps:
Your welcome. I always have them in stock. 300 more just made up.

Cliff,

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
Peppi-
I may have missed it somewhere in the forum, what is the amount you need sent to you via Paypal to get this item down to me on the sunny Gulf Coast of Alabama?
Thanks-
Randell C.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #95
It has begun. Counterfeit pivots on ebay. I remember selling a pivot to the fraud. I was hesitant to send one to Russia for this very reason. The way of the world these days.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #97
That is why a lot of companies use "Patent Pending" and never go thru with the patent, they don't want the full information available to provide manufacturing info to the frauds.
In this case all they have to do is buy one. I have no way of monitoring purchasers.

·
Banned
4,568 Posts
free bump!

Had a good talk with live human when calling about this pivot re: what it will and wont do/fix.
Next thing to order for the 94SE !

who said used bikes don't need some money thrown at them?
and how many hundreds is SOME?

81 - 100 of 116 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.