Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a GL1500 which runs good as far as I can tell, but I have not had it a long time to know what to compare it too. I had a GL1200 before that.

The problem is, if I am accelerating somewhat hard and then let off the gas, It will pop and backfire some. I mean it isn't a problem really, but I keep wondering if there might be something more wrong with it, such as timing being off some. I have a K&N Filter in it that I recently cleaned and I plan to put new plugs in it. The previous owner said he just changed the oil, but I am not confident he changed the filter. So I plan to put new plugs and change the oil and filter again soon, but I am wanting to get a manual first otherwise I will probably be taking alot more apart than I need too, because I am not sure where everything is exactly and have not had much the lower fairing apart at all.

My GL1200 never did this, so I assume there is a problem. My gas milage seems rather poor too, but this may just be, from riding fast most of the time. Most of my driving is on the interstate at about 70MPH. I am getting around 30MPG now after fixing air pressure and cleaning air filter. I have hit 40MPG once with two of us on it and riding back mountain roads staying well under 55 most of the time.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Static

·
Premium Member
578 Posts
imported post

popping or backfire can be caused by a few things.

could be an exhaust leak from a joint, run the engine and put a rag over the end of the pipes and check for exhaust gases escaping.

the air filter might need replacing, this will effect gas milage as well

could be an ignition fault

or, worse case, a damaged valve in the engine.

I'm sure a guru who knows more about 1500's will be along soon...............

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

If you're getting backfiring in the pipes, not the carbs it could also be partially fouled or misgapped spark plugs. The backfiring and poor mileage could also point to mistimed valves, perhaps someone got the timing belt or belts off a bit when replacing them. A pulser coil going bad could also, but less likely, cause the same problem. Nomally backfiring is also linked to overly lean conditions in the carbs but your poor mileage points more to overly rich. You might try a can of Sea Foam through the fuel and see if that helps.

If you had a four cylinder 'Wing a bad air cut off valve would be the most likely candidate but the 1500 doesn't exactly have the same setup. Maybe someone here understands all the circuits of the 1500 carbs enough that they can help.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.