Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks,

I seem to have a short on my left saddlebag side bar light, I did find one broken wire inside the left saddlebag I repaired it but still no running light or power to that side marker , the right side works fine.

Now the problem I have is I cannot get a screw out of the lower rear panel under the saddlebag Rear tail light, to check the conection there, other than cutting a hole in the saddle bag trunk, How can i remove that lower left panel under the saddle bag tail light when the screw is not coming out?

Or, can I just cut a wire to the right saddle bag side ba, r it's an aftermarket addition from Kriss Firefly that no longer is carried in stock by them.
I will evevntuallu have to make a hole to replace that rear sadlebag light if it ever burns out.

Any help would be greatly appreciated I think the screw may be stripped or the plastic that the screw bites into is stripped

·
Premium Member
6,765 Posts
Helps if we know which model.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Hi Folks,

I seem to have a short on my left saddlebag side bar light, I did find one broken wire inside the left saddlebag I repaired it but still no running light or power to that side marker , the right side works fine.

Now the problem I have is I cannot get a screw out of the lower rear panel under the saddlebag Rear tail light,

Any help would be greatly appreciated I think the screw may be stripped or the plastic that the screw bites into is stripped
Assuming that this is the 88' 1500 in your name line...the lower panel unde the saddle bag has two screws holding it in place.. both covered by a small metal clip....is this what you are talking about?

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Assuming that this is the 88' 1500 in your name line...the lower panel unde the saddle bag has two screws holding it in place.. both covered by a small metal clip....is this what you are talking about?
yes IT seems the screw does not want to come out I can feel the screw spinning but the screw just keeps turning it wont come out

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
yes IT seems the screw does not want to come out I can feel the screw spinning but the screw just keeps turning it wont come out
I got the clips off no problem, and the left side screw comes out, but that darn rear screw wont loosen just keeps spinning, I'm sure it will pose a problem at the next tire change or if that rear bulb needs to be replaced in the future.

I really need to chase that wire harness from the side bar to where it conects to the system.
Is there any trick I can use to get than darn screw out?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I got the clips off no problem, and the left side screw comes out, but that darn rear screw wont loosen just keeps spinning, I'm sure it will pose a problem at the next tire change or if that rear bulb needs to be replaced in the future.

I really need to chase that wire harness from the side bar to where it conects to the system.
Have you tried using a small magnetic pen type to get the rear screw out, they will sit there and spin once out of the threads. Sometimes you can just pull out the lower bag piece at the point the screw just spins like that and the screw comes out with the piece.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts

Maybe try applying pressure (lightly pull on the plastic cover) and see if the screw grabs. It sounds like the metal tab that the screw grabs is worn...Might try a pair of needle nose pliars....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you guys!

I will try to pry or pull as I turn the screw, worst case, I may have to drillout the screw head.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi Folks!

Ty for the help but I was not succesful in removing that cover screw! it seems to be stripped in there I can feel something spining around in there and the screw is still tight.

Unless someone else has a better Idea Im thinking I have only two options,
1} drill out the head of that stripped screw or,
2) make a hole at the rear of my saddlebag to access whatever it is thats is spinning with the screw under that cover.
this is my absoute last option, I dont want to destroy the inside of my saddle bag over a Accesory aftermarket Saddle bag side light bar

If anyone has any other options please let me know!

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If anyone has any other options please let me know!
It would concern me if you try to drill the head of the screw. Would be afraid that the screw heating up would melt the plastic...making things worse...just a thought..Good luck with it...But then if it did melt, you could try reparing with abs fixt-it (abs pipe scrapings and abs cement mixture), redrill and hope for the best

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
If you are approaching the "wrecking the screw" stage to get it out you could try adding a drop of superglue to the very end of the screwdriver. Hold it in the screw until set and hopefully this could give you a little backward pressure to keep the fixing still as you turn the screw.

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
If you are approaching the "wrecking the screw" stage to get it out you could try adding a drop of superglue to the very end of the screwdriver. Hold it in the screw until set and hopefully this could give you a little backward pressure to keep the fixing still as you turn the screw.
WOW! Great Idea!!:bow:

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
TY! At this point I'm willing to try anything least destructive, I'll make sure to use a old screwdriver in case It sticks where I cant get it off the screw! lol,
That would be my luck, lo,l then I would have to cut off the screwdriver! lol

One more question, Is it just plastic that the screw tightens into? or is there a metal clip behind the plastic Stand off? i have no clue how that rear panel is held together whether into plastic metal, or both!
I dread having to cut a hole into that saddlebag, but if all esle fails I will have no choice !
I can get a plastic access panel to cover the hole if I make it a square one! it will be on the inside and not visible

Dam it this is a real bummer!
I will try the super glue idea first! the bike runs great, only 66k on it , all new tires and relays, custom pinstriping, Forks just rebuilt and new seat, drivers back rest, all the goodies I could ever want, lots of add ons!

I found a signal amp under the seat yesterday. I do have all the service records way back to 88, every year it has been serviced by a Honda tech.

everything works except for that darn right saddlebag side bar light. wheel Rims need a major cleaning though! least of my worries for the moment!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
I think those two screws go into tinnerman nuts, those spring type clip on nut plates. IIRC

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.