Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
Have just removed the battery from my GL 1500SE for the first time since purchasing the bike, and found the level of acid/water was very low, in fact two thirds the way down the casing, the previous owner not very good on the maintenance front by the look of it.
The battery holds its charge well, but I’m not sure what to do about topping it up to the recommended level. Do I top up with distilled water only, or should I be thinking about adding further electrolyte?

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
Adding distilled water is the "recommended" way of topping off a wet cell battery. I personally have used regular tap water for any top off's I've ever done. Worked fine for me.You'll get alot of people will say it's wrong to use tap water, but I haven't seen any "proof" distilled water works any better. So the battery only lasts a year longer, instead of 12 months.,,

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
distilled water then charge her up..if you over charge you may be able to "burn" off some of the sulfated crap on the plates and add some life to the battery. Tap water is OK too it just give the battery more crap to stick to the plates which is not good.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone who replied to my post, these forums really work, I purchased a well known repair manual, (not Honda I hasten to add) for guidance, not going to name any names, but years ago the manuals produced by this particular company were renowned and very good, I have some of them on my bookshelf plenty of detailed information contained within their pages, but what a shock, now poor quality information, bad pictures printed on poor quality paper. Thanks again guys.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Hi all
Have just removed the battery from my GL 1500SE for the first time since purchasing the bike, and found the level of acid/water was very low, in fact two thirds the way down the casing, the previous owner not very good on the maintenance front by the look of it.
The battery holds its charge well, but I’m not sure what to do about topping it up to the recommended level. Do I top up with distilled water only, or should I be thinking about adding further electrolyte?
I would say use pure water only do not ad any electrolite to it. However that being said if the cells were 2/3 of the way to being empty I would say that, that battery is all likelyhood is a done for and will fail in a while. You can not do that without damage taking place to the cells involved. Just so you know... If you can get it to work after the top up fine..but as soon as you start getting the first signs of it not holding a full charge or not cranking the engine fast as it should...get rid of that battery.

·
agent provocateur
146 Posts
Adding distilled water is the "recommended" way of topping off a wet cell battery. I personally have used regular tap water for any top off's I've ever done. Worked fine for me.You'll get alot of people will say it's wrong to use tap water, but I haven't seen any "proof" distilled water works any better. So the battery only lasts a year longer, instead of 12 months.,,

The reason they say to use distilled water and not tap water is because depending on where you live and where your water is coming from...ie..lake or well water. It may be loaded with a pile of minerals as well as loaded with chorine maybe in heavy amounts. Hell I was once in a place that you needed and knife and fork for the water and you could crew the water it was that heavy of a load on minerals. So since that have no idea where you are and what your water conditions are, they say used distilled water only. And really for that 2 bucks or less...why not use it.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.