Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have 2 1999 GL1500's, one is a stock SE, the other is an Aspencade/Motortrike conversion. The problem I am having is with the SE. I find that everytime I let the bike sit a few weeks the battery will be discharged low enough to be unable to turn the engine over. This battery is about 18 months old. I have had to add water to it twice and have charged it each time that it was dead.

I checked the voltage across the terminals of the battery at 1500 RPM, it read 14.3 volts. Then I checked for the "switch off" amp to see if I had a parisite voltage draw. From negative terminal to negative cable I am reading 2.37 mA. The battery has 12.65 volts with key off.

In comparing the 2 Wings I find they are both have similar readings. Both are pretty much stock with no extra lights and such. Both have power point/cig lighters.

This hasbeen the second battery to give me the same trouble, but I don't see any alarms in the voltage or current readings. Help, this thing is driving me MADDD!

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

Those are normal readings.
The max draw spec is 5 ma so you are well within that.
The draw is for the clock and the radio's station memory settings. It is a keep-alive circuit that Honda calls the Backup.

With my bike sitting I will go give it a few hour 4 amp charge every 3 weeks if it has been sitting. This keeps it above the difficult starting is avoided. This is with a good battery as well. If the battery is older, you may not get the 3 weeks that I do.

BTW to see if you have other parasitic draws or if you just want to kill the Backup draw, you can pull the Backup fuse in your fuse block.

·
Administrator
26,163 Posts
imported post

Switch batteries and see if it happens to the SE or the trike.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Do you have a stock alternator, or a Compufire in the S.E. along with the wet cell battery?

gumbyred

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the replies. The alternator is stock on both Wings. They both are wet batteries. I don't know why i didn't think of swapping batteries between the two... must be "old timers' kicking in again.

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

If I let my bike sit for two weeks I can't start it.

Normally I run it about 4 or 5 times a week, but this time of year if we get a bad spell of weather two weeks isn't out of the question to leave it parked. So if there's any doubt in my mind, I plug in the battery tender.

I have a 96 se.

·
Premium Member
3,312 Posts
imported post

It doesn't sound like your battery should be pulled down with that little current draw. However I would put it on a battery tender if I was going to let it sit for over a week or so just as a standard procedure. That is what I do and my battery is always ready to turn the motor over fast when I do get ready to ride it. The battery will last longer if it is kept charged and not let it get in a run down condition.

·
Premium Member
392 Posts
imported post

I had the same issues with my 99SE battery.

1. You must get yourself a float charger for when you are not using the bike.

Mine was eating a battery every few months to a year (not enought riding in the NW) the float charger stopped the problem.

This is the one I use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

2. Ride your bike more often and it will not present a problem.

·
350 Posts
imported post

rottie wrote:
I had the same issues with my 99SE battery.

1. You must get yourself a float charger for when you are not using the bike.

Mine was eating a battery every few months to a year (not enought riding in the NW) the float charger stopped the problem.

This is the one I use.

http://www.harborfreight.com/automatic-battery-float-charger-42292.html

2. Ride your bike more often and it will not present a problem.
THATS THE ONE I HAVE...WORKS GREAT....CHECK THE STORE FLIERS I THINK IT'S ON SALE FOR 4.99 OR 6.99....RIGHT NOW...

REMEMBER IT'S NOT FOR CHARGING...JUST MAINTAINING

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
imported post

Rudy wrote:
BTW to see if you have other parasitic draws or if you just want to kill the Backup draw, you can pull the Backup fuse in your fuse block.
Hey Rudy!

Which ones the "backup" fuse?

T.

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

tnoort wrote:
Rudy wrote:
Hey Rudy!

Which ones the "backup" fuse?

T.
It should be Fuse 9 (5 amp) in your fuse/relay block or under the left fairing pocket depending on year model.

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
imported post

Something just draws those bikes down. I have owned 3 1500's. 1990 1996 & 1999. Guess what I always have had drain problem with the 99 and yes it is an SE if that makes a difference.
I work at a large RV dealership and campers do the same thing. 1 model will drain a battery in a week. Others can sit for a month and the lights work.
If you are not riding the bike every week. Use a tender jr on it.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

I keep a Tender plugged into one of my cig lighter sockets, works fine. :waving:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When you replace the batteries, put in gel/AGM batteries and they they will hold up longer.

Try disconnecting the battery for the same period (after a full charge) and then test the battery voltage with a test meter. That will tell you if you battery is failing, or pull it and take it to Autozone or Kragens and have them load test it.

Have you replaced the brushes in the alternators yet? They are a factor if you want your battery to charge while driving. (sitting running at idle won't charge the battery)

The stock alternators were a weak point on the 99's, so keep them fresh with planned cleanings and brush replacements, end bushings also.

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

newday777 wrote:
When you replace the batteries, put in gel/AGM batteries and they they will hold up longer.

Try disconnecting the battery for the same period (after a full charge) and then test the battery voltage with a test meter. That will tell you if you battery is failing, or pull it and take it to Autozone or Kragens and have them load test it.

Have you replaced the brushes in the alternators yet? They are a factor if you want your battery to charge while driving. (sitting running at idle won't charge the battery)

The stock alternators were a weak point on the 99's, so keep them fresh with planned cleanings and brush replacements, end bushings also.

I ran into problems with my alternator yesterday. Voltage on battery at 1500RPM was 11.45 and at 3000RPM it showed 11.93. I was kinda set on just getting a compufire, do you suggest new brushes will get it up and running again? I will eventually go with a compufire due to the planned upgrades, but right around x-mas I could live without the $360,- ticket...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Kimswang wrote:
newday777 wrote:

I ran into problems with my alternator yesterday. Voltage on battery at 1500RPM was 11.45 and at 3000RPM it showed 11.93. I was kinda set on just getting a compufire, do you suggest new brushes will get it up and running again? I will eventually go with a compufire due to the planned upgrades, but right around x-mas I could live without the $360,- ticket...
A good cleaning, brushes and bushings well get you back up and running. You can do it or take it to a local automotive alternator rebuilder. If you do a search there are cross reference numbers to get at an auto parts store.
Merry Christmas
:waving:

·
Premium Member
472 Posts
imported post

i use a small solar panel charger and hook it up when a bike sets . i have been doing this for years on sail boats, it works. regards walkabout :smiler:

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,390 Posts
imported post

Thanks for posting all the refs. Looks like I can get away with a clean up job due to my low mileage, however, I am still leaning towards a compufire....

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.