Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
No time to ride...
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, Im going proactive on this one...

I just purchased my 92 1500 not to long ago and I have NO IDEA when the battery was put in..

The last thing I want is to go out and have the battery dead on a return trip ( that would SUCK ) Sooo....

My Biggest issue comes to CCA...

Im not sure what the "Stock" CCA is on a GL1500 But I DO know it can make a BIG Differance on bikes... My Buddy just put a new battery in his Ultra Classic ( I KNOW.. he owns ONE OF THOSE!!!!!) But anyways... we took out his old one (505 CCA listed on it) and put in a stock (Like 230 CCA) ands WOW.. it turns over slower... Starts.. but you can tell the difference...

Was wondering:
1. if more CCA makes ALOT of difference on a Honda (they dont turn over as hard) and we DO run Tenders on them when not being ridden..

2. Drycell vs Wet (Normal?)

3. Do they even make Higher CCA Batteries for Gls?

4. What IS Stock for a GL??? ( I really need to get the book ! ! ! !) LOL:?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Stock battery is a Y50-N18L-A3 at 340CCA
But are you sure on those CCA numbers?
505CCA sounds like a small car battery and 230CCA sounds like an Odyssey battery.

Just my opinion but get an AGM battery and again just my opinion not an Odyssey.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,230 Posts
If it's charging good and you don't just ride it a couple of miles at a time a regular AGM will be just fine with about 300 odd CCA.
A 180 degree horizontally opposed motor will always be easier to crank than an 88 degree V configuration, also be sure to check that the headlight turns off while the starter button is depressed.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
If your replacement is a good AGM battery at at least the minimum rating you will be good. My last battery was a Sears Die Hard Gold, lasted 7 years and over 75k miles. If I would have pried the caps and checked the water annually it would probably still be on the road. I got my new one at the local Batteries-Plus store and it is dandy. The only reason not to get the Sears battery again? Longer warranty on this one.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Go with the Deka AGM battery
http://www.etx18l.com/index.html

If you are not riding year round, wait till spring to get your new battery. Just keep the one you have on a Battery Tender Jr.

·
Busdriver
1,037 Posts
If you ride in cold weather then a higher CCA battery is a a wise choice, as the thicker oil will create resistance for the motor to turn over and start, requiring more juice from the battery. Also the colder air temps weaken the battery. Those of you that live up north will attest to this.

·
Premium Member
361 Posts
I recently replaced my battery with an AGM battery and that was the best purchase I have made recently. I pair $90 @ O'Reilly's while a regular wet-cel battery was $60. This battery spins my 1500 over super and still enough amps to fire on first spin. My previous wet-cell battery was always one of those "Start when you let up on the starter button" batteries from the very first. GL1500's need a lot of amps to turn starter AND fire plugs and if your battery is the least bit weak it can still spin it over quite fast BUT not enough amps left to fire the plugs until you let off the starter button. Engine is still spinning and all the current goes to the plugs at that instant. AGM for me!

·
Premium Member
2000 GL1500SE
3,349 Posts
+1 on what racingbanker said. I have had an AGM battery in my 1500 for almost 5 years now and it still spins the starter over just as fast as it did when new. Always fires up in just a second or less. It is rated at 350 CCA.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
A 180 degree horizontally opposed motor will always be easier to crank than an 88 degree V configuration Unless theres a decompressor valve used like on my old VTX. It had an incredible amount of compression.

·
No time to ride...
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ok Guys... Thnaks for all the help...

:claps:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.