Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a trip up to Detroit to walk around their Museum. About 20 miles outside of Toledo stopped at a rest stop for a break. The bike would not start took the covers off (I always carry a full set of tools). No fuses were blown but when I removed the Battery WOW!! First of all three of the caps had broken off and 2 of the cells were really empty metal exposed to the air. I figure in all the bad bouncy roads I had been on the water had been shaken out. This battery was not that old it was a brand called EverStart that I purchased from WalMart here in Indiana a few months ago. It had gotten so hot that the lead connectors on top of the battery had warped and I had to cut them to get my wires loose. Oh a nice Motorist gave me a jump and told me where the local Autozone was and they had 1 battery that would fit my bike. The new battery I put in seems to be of much better quality (Its a DuraLast) anyway just wanted to put this out I would stay away from the EverStart batteries.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Could be the battery but more likely your regulator is shot and over charging your battery and boiling it dry. I'd check that before you destroy another battery.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Are you running a high output alternator? If so you need to be using an AGM battery, the refillable batteries will not hold up to the high output alts. Most AGM batteries have solid lead terminals that the bolt threads are tapped into the lead rather than the type with a loose nut that has to be pushed into the thin lead capture and thus an other joint that can cause heat when any dirt or loosening of the bolt.

·
Registered
93 Posts
I've had a Walmart EverStart battery in my GL1500 for 4-years now and it starts every time. I keep the battery on the battery tender always when not riding. Just checked battery voltage today and it reads 12.9 volts. :claps:

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
I also have an Everstart on my 1500 but its is only for about a year and a half. Works great.

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
Wal Mart sells an AGM battery that fits the (1500) 'Wing and the cost is in the $80 range. I've used yellow top W-M batteries in my cars and have never had a problem. The one in the old F-150 is 7+ years and functioning normally. These are W-M's best batteries and I have no complaints. I'll likely get the W-M AGM version for the 'Wing when a new battery is needed. I think they might be called EverMax (?)

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I bought the bike last year after my other one was totalled. I looked at it last night and it has a Comp-u-Fire Alternator in it so I guess I need to get one of the AGM Batteries. I haven't ever seen one at my local WalMart so any other suggestions other than Amazon...

·
Premium Member
1,361 Posts
I bought the bike last year after my other one was totalled. I looked at it last night and it has a Comp-u-Fire Alternator in it so I guess I need to get one of the AGM Batteries. I haven't ever seen one at my local WalMart so any other suggestions other than Amazon...
Here's a link to Wingstuff.com that might head you in the right direction:

http://wingstuff.com/shop/?keyword=battery

Also, you can talk to your local retailers such as Napa and any battery stores. AGM batteries for the 'Wings are sold under several brand names.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
I'll never run anything but an AGM in my Wing or my 2 atv's,high output alt. or not.They are just that much better IMHO.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
I've had such bad luck with batteries from the internet I started getting anything out of the ordinary AA's and the like from Batteries Plus. Not the cheapest but I have yet to be disappointed. Not sure if they are located in Indiana.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Oreillys carries agm for the wing. I have an interstate on the wing I picked up this year its 4 + years old and cranks like a bad boy.

·
Premium Member
28,832 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Went out last night and bought an AGM from O'reilly's for around $80.00 will see how it does.

·
Premium Member
2,998 Posts
Went out last night and bought an AGM from O'reilly's for around $80.00 will see how it does.
You won't be sorry.My 1500 turned over so fast with the AGM you would swear the spark plugs were out of it and I found out on my atv(after I sunk it) that these batteries will crank forever.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.