Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hello, i was reading some information on 1500 belly pans. do they really help stability in a cross wind? are they worth the cost?

thank you

robin:baffled:

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Thats a good question,,,,,,, and so I give this a bump:)

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

I will go "all in", and show my hand by saying "no" for stability.

They may offer some protection. I would not buy or install one .

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,200 Posts
imported post

JMPO Department:

My personal opinion is they will NOT help with stability at all. The belly pan airflow is behind the front wheel. Not much for it to change up. Crosswinds? Don't see anything there either.

A belly pan might protect something down there, but from what I could see on my 1500, there isn't anything there that needs protection.

I've grounded out going off a curb and nothing underneath was effected. So why pay for something you don't need?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
imported post

I have one on my bike, was put on by previous owner, can't say it helps. It has caught a large rock or two from the looks of it. I've seen some advertised that are stainless steel that surely would be stronger than my aluminum type. David

·
Old School Guru
7,887 Posts
imported post

Well, I installed one on my 1500 over a year ago. And yes, it did help in crosswinds, in my opinion. No noticable difference in a headwind however. It also helps protect the bottom of the bike from road gators, and trash. It is worth the $35 in my opinion.:)

Gene:waving:

·
Premium Member
86 Posts
imported post

I put one on my GL1800 after knocking a hole in my overflow reservoir..... would have been nice to have installed at the factory.... looking at it now, it is covered with junk from the road.... not sure if the 1500 is the same.. but would vote yes....

Gasseous :cool:

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

Doesn't look as though it would be that difficult to fabricate one from a piece of 1/8" thick aluminum or even a thinner piece of stainless if you really want one.

As for the sidewind thing, maybe a help but I seriously doubt it.

·
Premium Member
725 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

hmmm, this is a real poser. some yeses, some no's . i wish i had one to test out. maybe scientifical like. you know tufts of yarn and all that stuff.

i guess as a guard it would be a good investment.:baffled:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.