Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know of a better spark plug to use on 1990 gl1500 or just stick with what works the OEM NGK?

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,612 Posts
NGK works just fine, and can't be beat IMO.

You can pay a lot more, but why?

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Any 'gain' from a special plug is negligible at best. NGK's are just fine and all I use.

·
Premium Member
2,790 Posts
Sparkplugs

cant do better than ngk,only thing better might be the iridium version which def last longer,i believe that they definitely have the heat ranges correct where other brands may not be exact,not to say they dont since seldom do gl owners use other brands

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
These motors were designed around NGK spark plugs. $2 each at local shop here.

·
Premium Member
243 Posts
NGK's for me. Why switch now when I have used them in various bikes for over 40 years.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
There are some tricks to improving performance on the plugs:

Cutting the lateral electrode back so it's tip is at the center of the center electrode gives better spark..more even and stronger

and/or marking where the opening faces on the plug's electrodes on the outside of the plug so you can see it when installed then "find" a set of plugs that when installed and tighten properly the opening faces the point where the gas enters the cylinder. ON Goldwings straight up at the center... IE you buy a lot of plugs and return most. Old racing mechanic's trick.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Or use an indexing tool and the appropriate very thin washers. Frankly, I change them every year, two years tops, and I doubt (my opinion only) that I would notice enough of a difference to make the time it takes to 'properly' index the plugs worth the effort.
A similar trick is used on motors with a distributor by cutting off the long ends of metal on the rotor end where it swings towards the cap contacts. Makes a more acccurately timed spark. Again, even on the HP motor I built for my Pony car, not really worth the work.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
There are some tricks to improving performance on the plugs:

Cutting the lateral electrode back so it's tip is at the center of the center electrode gives better spark..more even and stronger

and/or marking where the opening faces on the plug's electrodes on the outside of the plug so you can see it when installed then "find" a set of plugs that when installed and tighten properly the opening faces the point where the gas enters the cylinder. ON Goldwings straight up at the center... IE you buy a lot of plugs and return most. Old racing mechanic's trick.
So.... return a bunch of "new" plugs with crushed washers? Guess I better check my new plugs when I buy them.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
NO use old washers to test position..they are already compressed for that last 1/4 turn..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.