Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

As a new member of this forum I could really use some help with a bizarre radio problem I experienced today.

My '96 1500 SE has the factory-installed radio AM/FM/Cassette package. I preset my favorite stations on both the AM and FM bands, and the radio has been working normally up until now.

However, as I was changing channels using the PRO/CH button, the radio suddenly "ran away," cycling through the entire FM frequency band several times. After nearly a minute of this the cycling stopped and "froze" on one particular channel (go figure...it had to be one I don't care to listen to!).

It was as though I had pushed the SEEK/SCAN button (but I did not). I'm also pretty sure I did not accidentally push the Search Lever on the left handlebar to cause the rapid frequency cycling.

Now I can still turn the radio off/on and adjust volume using the rotary switch, but none of the push buttons work. I can't change channels, seek/scan, or alternately select between AM and FM bands. I also cannot deselect AMB. Everything is "frozen."

I haven't tried using electrical contact cleaner on the push buttons yet, as recommended on another forum. Meanwhile, I would greatly appreciate any other ideas/thoughts.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

Ok everyone,

Disregard!! I found the problem...I did INDEED bump the tuner selector on the handlebar (fat finger syndrome!). :baffled:

Although it appeared to be in the normal position, it actually was off-center ever so slightly.

Lesson learned!

Thanks anyway!

·
Premium Member
286 Posts
imported post

If it was stopping slightly off-center, the button is probably sticking a little bit now and will get worse over time. You might want to do the contact cleaner routine before it gets worse and requires more effort to fix. Don't get the stuff on your fairing - it doesn't play well with the paint.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

What you might want to check is the tuner selector button. A lot of guys with fat fingers bump that one and it causes the problem you describe.

Oh, oops! You already found it.:cooldevil: :angel:

Do you think I fooled anybody? :baffling:

Welcome to the forum Blue. Hang out a while.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yep...you nailed it. Fat fingers will do it every time! ;)

Thanks for the welcome message...good to be here.

Regards

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

The contact cleaner is totaly amazing. On my 90 1500 the channel up down channel lever did nothing could not change channels. I imagine the cb has not been used for yrs.
Well I shot the cleanner in the switch and instantly worked perfect. Just amzing to me anyway.
Now that it work's I have no idea what to do with the CB so imagine it will get gunked up again LOL
Wilf

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.