Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After removing seat and shelter to do some maintance on my 92, i am blowing the 20 amp fuse that operates headlight and gauges etc. Happens as soon as key is turned on. Cant find any bad wires im really stuck. Help!!!!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Seat and shelter off or on?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

What did you do for maintenance?

·
Premium Member
280 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Right now the seat and shelter r off. I removed to replace petcock.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Top Shelter only or sides too?
Are there any cut in splices in the harness? Like maybe below the petcock, fuel filter & line? I don't remember which side the harness is strung on.
Did you put on a new gas filter too? Just saying that now is the time to do it. Napa 3003 works great @ $5

·
Lost on this *****
4,317 Posts
imported post

Definitly a dead short, when blowing a fuse like that. And it can be a real pain finding that short. But you can give this a try,,,,,,,,,,,,,

With the seat and top shelter off, andfuse replaced,,,, have the bike in a dark place/garage. Turn your key on,, and watch for any kind of spark. Also watch for a small amount of smoke ( would have to be in a very still enviroment).

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

Hmm... 20A? really? maybe it's just my memory aging, I'll have to take a look, but Honda usually uses 5A/10A/15A only and nothing larger (due mostly to wire sizing).

The 5th fuse down should be a 15A (labeled as 'HEAD' on the cover)... Is this the fuse you're talking about??

This one should be hot all the time, so if it's blowing at key=ON you may wanna try the headlight switch (left control) in a differn position (like switch to HI if you're blowing in LOW to see if the currnet draw/short is particular to one of the lamp circuits) -- I've seen aftermarket fog-lamp switches wired to draw off of the low (so they shut-off on hi-beam) if the switch's wires get grounded, you'd see this kinda short on Low-beam only (or Hi-beam if things were setup to run only on hi-beam).

Do you have any aftermarket lighting that responds to the Hi/Lo beam setting ??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.