Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello everyone,

Recently on my 1994 GL1500se I had to brake hard at about 70mph and both myself and my underpants were rather unimpressed with the brakes performance. The brakes faded quickly and lost much of their affectiveness. Normal brakingseems fine, the discs are very good and the oem pads are very good all round, allcalipers are free and working well.The bike was unladen at the time butif it was fully laden for touring I don't think I would have stopped in time. It was a dry day.

Does anyone know of better pads to use and if braided hoses would help or maybe more powerful calipers. Any help is much appreciated.

Many thanks, Martin G15WNG

·
Premium Member
20,585 Posts
imported post

Welcome G15WNG to the Forum! :waving:I am sure some 1500 folks will be long to answer your question as my experience is in 1200's and 1800's area but I wanted to say welcome aboard! :cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

Hello from Virginia,

Welcome Aboard!!!!!

Glad to have you with us!

:waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving: :waving:

I recommend you post your question over in the technical section. Most of the gurus won't see it over here, and a lot more people frequent over there. Just a few of us greeters hang out over here on a regular basis.

·
Premium Member
2,525 Posts
imported post

Welcome G15WNG. Have you bled your brakes to replace the old fluid? Old fluid absorbs moisture and will cause the brakes to fade especially when braking hard and causing heat. As for brake pads. I use EBC Kevlar pads on my 1500 and I have done some really hard stops (a-hole cagers) and had no fade on my brakes. Hopefully this info will help.

·
Token Canuk
8,236 Posts
imported post

This Bob agrees with the Bob above, also might be air in the brake lines, either way like all the others - Bleeding sounds like a start. & oh bye the way "Welcome" :waving::waving:

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

HELLO BOB, I WILL HAVE THE BRAKE FLUID AND PADS CHANGED TO SEE IF IT HELPS, MANY THANKS MARTIN

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

I have found that if you don't use cintered pads, your brake pads will act like they are greased after a long hard braking session until they cool some.
I use HH series EBC pads for this reason (and stronger braking as well) but at the expense of some increased rotor wear.

I figure if I can stop, I'll be alive to change the rotors now and then. If I can't stop, it won't matter much what condition the rotors were in.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

HELLO RUDY,

I LIKE YOUR THINKING, I AM DEFINATELY GOING TO REPLACE THE PADS. MANY THANKS MARTIN.

·
Pops
4,519 Posts
imported post

Hello and welcome from Arizona.

·
Premium Member
8,524 Posts
imported post

Hi, welcome from sunny (foggy today) Southern California

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Having come from a Sports bike background, the brakes on my 1500 were a shock - EBC HH pads and Goodridge braided hoses sorted this out. Recommended!

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Helloand may I wish you all a happyand prosperous new year, martin

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Hello from wet, coldand rainy England.May I wish you all a happyand prosperous new year, martin.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

Hello, I have decided to change the brake pads and hoses. The bike is now 15 years oldand only done 37000 miles and everything to do with brakes looks original (except pads) which also makes them 15 years old.

Thanks for your reply. Martin

p.s. I have just realised that I may have been clicking the wrong 'reply' button to members replies to me, my apologies people but i'm new to this and a bit of an idiot.

·
Premium Member
6,870 Posts
imported post

Welcome from the
Steve Saunder's GOLDWING FORUM

A Big Welcome FromTEXAS

·
Premium Member
14,148 Posts
imported post

Either reply option works the same way... so you didn't do anything wrong. It's just a matter of convenience where the reply buttons are placed.

·
Premium Member
9,790 Posts
imported post

Welcome to this Great Site!

Pull up a chair and join on in!

Ride Safe, Ray

:waving:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.