Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

This topic has probbably been addressed before, but a search was not helpful. I just bought a new (to me) GL1500 WE 1999. Needs a brake job, and the rear rotor is shot (front ones are fine).
Options are to go Honda OEM. Or EBC rear rotors and pads. The Honda rear rotor is much more expensive than the EBC. If I go EBC rotor on the rear, do I need to also do EBC pads, or will the Honda pads work? If I go EBC on rear, do I need EBC on the front? Which pads: High (HH), medium or low?

Just confused a bit.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

When I replaced the rear rotor on my 99 SE I went with EBC rotor from JC Whitney and the honda pads. The rotor was reasonably priced and easy to change out.

The left front brake works with the rear brake pedal but I don't think you would have a problem with EBC on the rear and Honda on the front. Just my opinion

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I have only heard good on EBC rotors, about to order one myself.
I use only the EBC HH front & rear, but have run the regular EBC with not much liking to them, so go for the HH as they stop better IMO as I ride it hard in and out of the Twisties. Some only go with the stock pads, I haven't found them any better for the price. I just got back from a 13,000 mile jaunt around the country, 3 1/2 months, pulling my trailer in lots of twisties and mountains, including 4 days in CO and 2 weeks in WI, 2 months in New England and 4 days in E TN did the Snake and Tail of the Dragon and still have good pads.
You can run in any combination if you want, though some will say no you can't, BS IMO. Get what you can afford, just be sure and lube the slide pins and clean up the pistons.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

I think EBC pads are every bit as good as OEM. A while back I needed a new rear rotor because of severe grooving. I ordered one (from Wingstuff.com as I recall) but it didn't come. I called and it was on back order. I checked with machine shops and they wouldn't touch it. So cobbled together a mount-plate for my wood lathe and while the rotor was turning, used an angle grinder to smooth it out. I kept check with a straightedge to make sure it stayed more-or-less flat. Finished it with some hand-held silicone-carbide paper. Flipped it over and did the other side. It's well withith wear spec. The rotor I ordered showed up well after I had the thing back together and went on a long trip with it. I've since put about 45,000 miles on that fixed rotor. The new one is still in the cupboard. I've only used EBC pads and am quite happy with them.

·
267 Posts
imported post

I did exactly the same as "tlbranth" to the rear rotor for exactly the same reason in exactly the same way.I also freshened up the front rotors the same way whileI was at it,and again all threerotors are well within the wear limits. I then fitted EBC HH pads on all three rotors. After bedding in what a difference in breaking.The big girlnow stops asshe should, locking up both wheels if you really try, with or with out the trailer in hot persuit.

I had no problems stopping in the many mountains of Europe this year in the wet or dry.

Regards, Tony.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.