Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Do I have to remove the motor to make this repair or can it be done with the motor in the bike. Seems like a big job, has anybody done this..:(

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

Are you sure its the motor? What are the symptoms? The bike shares the starter motor for reverse. Does the bikes engine start when pushing the start button?

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

try your reverse relay if it starts if is the motor then look through the a-z for starter motor refurb. if the starter turns at start and reverse then it could be the reverse mechanism in the back of the engine if it is i recken its an engine out job as it is behind the rear cover

andy

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

If you do have a broken gear it's probably the idler gear that actually works directly off of the starter motor. I've seen them break before and you have to pull the engine to replace it. Most likely it broke due to hydrolocking of the engine, or using the bolts to refit a starter motor that has been removed. Honda's service bulletin for the 88 model talked about pinched hoses causing hydrolocking. The broken idler gear is the result when you try to start the engine with 1 or more cylinders hydrolocked.

You can remove the starter motor and look into the hole to see the broken gear.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I know the gear is broken because when I put the starter back in it was not lined up and when I bolted it in broke the gear. I heard it break. I can not fish out the broken part. If I could I would ride it until winter then fix. it. It seems like a long process to remove the motor. What if I remove the swingarm, tire, bags, tank and trunk can I then get to the back of the motor

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I've got an 88 wing and have not heard of this hydrolock issue. I don't think Steve Saunders mentions it anywhere either. So, please let me know more about this problem before it happens to mine.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Mine has a broke idler gear, reverse works fine, starter does not turn motor so I have to roll start.

I did some searching and reading on the forum and found that hydro lock can cause the idler gear to break sometimes, also if trying to start on a weak/low battery if the engine tries to kick back against the starter the idler gear can break I've read.

I guess it's not real common thing to happen much, but it does happen.

Everything I found so far says engine out job! I have not found any info yet for any short cuts to make it an easy`job.

Looks like we both have the same job to do, just different gears broke.

·
Honda Guru
2,053 Posts
imported post

http://www.wingman26.com/service/sb1.pdf

Read the 2nd paragraph it discusses the pinched hoses and hydrolock problem.

I've replaced 2 broken idler gears, one on my bike and another 88 that had the exact same problem. The gear can break if the starter motor won't push in all the way and the wrench uses the starter bolts to pull the starter motor in. The same can happen with the gl1800.
Chromo is correct there's no way to replace the gear without pulling the engine. Bummer but it's better now than later because the broken gear piece could find it's way to other rotating parts. Then there'd be he-ll to pay.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

One reason I would not want a reverse gear. You can't just leave it broken without it breaking something else.

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

slammer218 wrote:
I know the gear is broken because when I put the starter back in it was not lined up and when I bolted it in broke the gear. I heard it break. I can not fish out the broken part. If I could I would ride it until winter then fix. it. It seems like a long process to remove the motor. What if I remove the swingarm, tire, bags, tank and trunk can I then get to the back of the motor
Rotating the back wheel with the bike in gear would have prevented the gear breaking when you refitted the starter motor. This is well known to happen with the GL1500 and GL1800. But that's history now and you know what the problem is. The engine rear cover comes off to replace the broken gear, and the only way is engine out. Pulling the swingarm won't do it for you.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

That what I wanted to know. Looks like I'm in for a big job.

I guess I will have to ride my KTM until the wing is repaired and leave the wife at home..

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
imported post

slammer218 wrote:
I guess I will have to ride my KTM until the wing is repaired and leave the wife at home..
She could ride with me, do you have a picture? :cheesygrin:

·
Premium Member
530 Posts
imported post

I spent monday putting the gears back on a GL1500 engine that i split to replace the fourth gear and shift fork.engine removal on the gL1500 is a big job.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

All most there. All that is left is the drive shaft, right intake and out she comes. Looks like an easy fix once it is out after looking at the shop manual. I think I wore out a set of sockets on this job.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

slammer218 wrote:
All most there. All that is left is the drive shaft, right intake and out she comes. Looks like an easy fix once it is out after looking at the shop manual. I think I wore out a set of sockets on this job.
Well, good, now once you have your engine back in and running proper and all else working, would you like to do mine while I visit Mom up around Akron/Canton LOL

Actually though joking, since we both had about the same type problem in same area, just different gears, I thought maybe we'd get together and butcher... errrrr I mean repair both wings later while I might be in the area. LOL

I just not got up there yet.

I hope all does go well for you on yours, it sounded more serious than mine. I can ride as is, I just have to roll start all the time. Not that much trouble normally as long as I watch how I park and make sure the kill switch is ON LOL

·
It aint rocket science
3,942 Posts
imported post

JerryH wrote:
One reason I would not want a reverse gear. You can't just leave it broken without it breaking something else.
The groupies are not always available to push an 800 lb. behemoth.

JD

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

I hope the repairs work out for you slammer. Can you post some pictures of the engine with the back cover off? It could be helpful to someone else with the same problem.

·
Premium Member
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Sorry no pic's to high tech for me. All I can say is take your time don't be in a hurry and it all comes apart. One thing supprised me was how clean the engine was after 117,00 miles. Good oil I guess..

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

So you got yours fixed now and back on the road?

About how long did it take you for the whole job roughly?
Did you need any extra parts like gaskets or seals, or just the gear?

I've got the same job to do still, just a different gear in same place.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.