Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all. Been a while since I posted. Two questions pls

I have the opportunity to buy a 1988 gl1500 with 33000 miles. Seems good condition. Alternator replaced as bike stopped running. Nothin else wrong. LCd has discoloured. Not sure what to Do about that anything I should be wary off? Is it silly to buy a 23 year old bike an expect it to be reliable?

·
Premium Member
815 Posts
imported post

if you like it, you want it, buy it.

·
Premium Member
560 Posts
imported post

It's not silly to buy a 23-year old Honda and expect it to be reliable. In fact, I would not expect anything else if the bike has been properly maintained.

I have a 26-year old bike (GL1200I) that I would not hesitate to ride anywhere in this great country of ours.

I just rode my 16-year old bike (GL1500I) from Va to California and back without even a slight hint of trouble.

If the price is right and the bike checks out, I say go for it.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I see mention of sierra electronics for possible repair of lcd. Can't find it on web. Anyone used them, or has a contact?

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

I don`t think Sierra would be able to do much with the L.D.D. More into radios. If you are good with a wrench, there is no reason a `88 Gold Wing can`t be reliable. A little preventave maintenence could go a long way. Does it run, and idle decent? Cam belts been changed recently? Clutch and brake fluids? How old are the tires? I would want driveshaft pulled out, and splines checked. Grease with Honda 60 Moly.
Tom Bishop

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.