Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi :)Experiencing some carb. probems on my '90 GL1500. Was going to get a friend to rebuild, but was also wondering if thelater carb. types would fit and work onmy bike (I think there were two later improved types) - anyone evertried this? Many thanks.

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

I replaced my 1988 carbs with a 1995 pair with only modest modification. It turns out that the venting is a little different between those two years (I don't know about yours,) and the connection between the cruise control and the carb is also changed between my two. Neither required too much work.

The only difference that had me worried was that the '88 has an altitude compensation system that is absent on the later model. I just plugged the device since there was no way to hook it up properly and I haven't regretted it.

I suspect that there aren't differences enough that the wouldn't disappear within the normal variance of acceptable carburetor behavior.

Your mileage may vary.

Jack

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
imported post

I just rebuilt my 1990 carbs myself and the bike just purrs. Buying a set of newre used carbs would probably cost more than rebuilding. I would stick with the original and rebuild.

·
Premium Member
636 Posts
imported post

Go Wing wrote:
I just rebuilt my 1990 carbs myself and the bike just purrs. Buying a set of newre used carbs would probably cost more than rebuilding. I would stick with the original and rebuild.
I'd go with this. You could be buying someone else's trouble. See my other postings. Anyone want a set of carbs off a 1990 1500?

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

The 1500 early model had some sort of recall. Check the site.

My 88 'stumbled' a lot, and after 2 'sort-of' rebuilds, I gave up. I really did not want to try it a third time.

I bought a set of 97 carbs off eBay for around $50. I took them apart to make sure they were not gummed up. They worked great, and I could not be any happier. The 88 had rubber vacuum hoses and the newer ones had more plastic tubing. the 88 had 3 solinoid jets, and the newer carb seems to be plumbed for only 2.

Texas - Foosman

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Thanks for your help. I have replaced the carbs. with a newer set which were identical. However,another problem then developed! - see forum. Cheers.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.