Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, in an earier post l talked about the issues with my 1500 running rich and lazy. Went out and bought a kit to do the carb rebuild and with the rain yesterday decided to do the repair. I started to take the thing apart and discovered the issue. The air filter was full of sunflower seeds. Seems some varmint found a really nice winter home...again. One other time they moved in to my trunk when it was stored for the winter. How nice life must have been for him though. Where I store it they feed the birds so there was all kinds of bird seed. Under the cover, up in the bike, eat and sleep in the air cleaner housing. Maybe I can shrink wrap it like they do boats???

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
Actually, shrink wrapping isn't a bad idea. There is a company that makes an enclosure thay may work well...but may not, too. Basically you drive the bike onto a platform then pull the top up and zip it closed over the machine. If the thing is made of rodent-proof material it would be great.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
Sounds like a nice parking spot, the enclosure I mean.
Any info or link for it?

I am thinking of building a box frame of 2x4 with a solid bottom, use heavy black plastic stapled to frame, duct tape to seal it. Toss in moth balls. I would mostly use something like that for auto's here. Getting tired of the spiders and rodents!

For just bikes though could maybe get by with just the heavy black plastic. Stretch it out flat, park bike in center careful not to tear plastic sheet, wrap it up and seal with duct tape. Probably toss in the moth balls. Could maybe spray outside near bottom with a repellant also if wanted.

·
Registered
425 Posts
If you do something like that, you will also need to put some type of moisture absorber in. Any moisture that is in there will stay in there and turn everything rusty! No way for the moisture to evaporate with the temp changes over the winter.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
23,326 Posts
The ones I've seen advertised had a framework cover and were for outside storage. I'd expect they would cost more than the Rhino.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Harley sells one that is clear plastic with a fan built in. You put your bike inside the shelter, zip it up and turn the fan on. It blows up like a balloon and your bike is sealed inside.

·
Premium Member
6,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was just kidding about the shrink wrap but now you have me thinking. I have heard of mice eating wiring. That would be a real mess. The ones that were in my air cleaner never even nibbled at the air cleaner element. What about some screen to allow airflow through the enclosure? Maybe some on top and bottom??

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I had the same problems. What you guys are thinking about doing is a lot of work and expense just to keep mice out of the air filter. Besides they will chew through any plastic known to man. Just make screens to cover up the air intakes. I used 1/4 inch chicken wire. No more mice........

·
Premium Member
1985 GL1200 A
953 Posts
I'm cheap, so I just buy a jar of peanut butter and 8 traps for my well-sealed shop. If one of the sneaky buggers makes it in he'll take peanut butter over the smell of a motorcycle carb anyday! Plus, I also have peanut butter to eat while working in the shop in winter. Yes, out of the JAR, that is!:ROFL:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
That 1/4" chicken wire is called hardware cloth. There are posts about making a cover of it over the intake air horn to keep the critters out of the filters. Best to check your filter each spring after each winter nap if you opt not to cover the intake air horn.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.