Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

21 - 40 of 161 Posts

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
I can't tell if you're serious or just pushing the tape idea here...

I'm an old retired electronics technician.

when I would get into a box full of wires, and need to service it, and no wiring diagrams handy or available....

I pulled out that little red plastic container of 3M numbered tapes out of my tool box...

I am Dead Serious, it is an easy way to be able to put things back together.
It is cheap, it is effective, and it works.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
John
Do you think it would be a good idea to use marked tape labels???? LOL! I do indeed! I got your drift! One thing I learned long ago do not leave ANYTHING laying where you do not want a wife to come move it!!! 9 times out of 10 they do not know what they moved and when you ask where it went they do not know what you are talking about!!! Things never stay apart for long in my garage (unless parts are on order) as that is exactly what happens. Did not do anything with the carbs today, had a different iron in the fire to take care of and I had to get a 16 inch phillips screwdriver to reach the carb clamps.
Thanks
David

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
Oh, do I ever know about wives moving things.

When I was off on my 30 days NASSIR8 tour, she decided that she knows better than I do how my office should be arranged.

I came back to a "very neat, organized group" and pretty as a picture...
pissed me off no end, and I told her "hey, it is pretty, but it is useless to me"

I can't find most of what I want, still yet today.....
I told her to stay out of here, this is my room, you are not allowed to move anything.

somewhere is a military ammo box that can't be found anywhere.
she claims she never saw it???

funny, it sat in the same place for 3 years, so why isn't it where I put it?

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
John
At the other iron in the fire today I left(LOST) my handy solarforce 500 lumen three mode flashlight I left it in the residence down at our other place. And neither me nor my bro. can find it. I was using it and then set it down somewhere. Both went thru the place three or for times. I know its there but it had decided to hide. Yeah, no wife to blame there! But glad its me. Lately have been a bit bad about that. The bike has all the tupperware stowed on a folding table in the garage while ALL the screws and fasteners are in individual baggies in Trunk on the bike!!

Just went back to Martino's website...looking at the carb tear down pics..you are right...labels, then pics before removal. Found some pics he took I failed to pay much attention too and of course a hose(s) that can only be seen after they are taken out. I may use some new longer hoses in those areas as comments about their location is a pain to reach after the carb is back on and space is pretty limited.
David

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
There is no such thing as "too many" pictures.
When I review them, I see 2 or 3 of the same view, and 2 of the 3 are fuzzy and I delete them.

I use my cellphone, turn the Flashlight function ON, then set the camera to "no flash".

that allows me to Preview what the picture is going to look like,
ie, move away from that bright reflection??

I take a lot of views, just move the camera/phone an inch or two and go around the area I am working on.

When you transfer those pictures to your PC and look at them on a big screen, you are going to see a lot of things that you did NOT even know was there...

things like, "Hey, that hose clamp is loose....",
or "wow! look at that wire, it is frayed and almost broken in two"

you just can't have too many pictures....
the camera sees those minute minor details like a "light blue" versus a blue wire and where it was connected to before you unhooked the two of them...

the little 3M numbered tapes are invaluable for documenting where things go. They are tiny enough to put on almost anything, wrap around the wire twice so it sticks for eternity.

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
I am Dead Serious, it is an easy way to be able to put things back together.
It is cheap, it is effective, and it works.
I believe you believe in the numbered tapes, I meant if you were serious about them not being numbered.

John
and I had to get a 16 inch phillips screwdriver to reach the carb clamps.
Make sure you have at least a 16" long 1/4" flat head also for adjusting mixture screws once the carbs are reinstalled and an impact driver for the screws holding the top plate and heater plate on. They're going to be ridiculously tight. Also, if your's still have limiter caps on the pilot screws, I suggest grinding off the boss on the edge of the bowl so you'll have full range of pilot screw adjustment. If they don't have the caps, grind a slot for a flat head if they're the "D" style heads and grind off the boss anyway, it can make it difficult for the head of the screwdriver to turn.
I can't agree more with taking pictures even though your lines are already numbered and colored already

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
I believe you believe in the numbered tapes, I meant if you were serious about them not being numbered.
/QUOTE]

I don't like using just colored tape, as it get rubbery and starts turning loose when it gets hot...

and, if you have more than just 3 or 4 wires to take apart, which one of "those blue wires" went here?

Numbered tapes are limitless in how many you can tag. get more than 10 wires hanging loose, then just add the next higher "10s" digit tape.

On my 1800 when I was ripping out a huge amount of PO installed "all black w/no ID wires, I traced several from the front of the bike to the rear of the bike. Once I found out what purpose they were for, I used my Brother Label Writer and printed out "Horn Relay 30A fused" for the one that snaked back thru the frame and went to the horns under the trailer hitch. Put that tape up front, and in the back up above the horns where that wire just ran loose hanging in mid air.....

jeez the PO was a slob with wiring.. :surprise:

I used that label writer several times on those PO installed wires. and when I found wires that just "dead ended" and went nowhere those were traced out and totally removed from the bike. I found 3 relays that had no function, and just gobs of black wires that seemed to have no current function.... found a black module buried inside some of the original Honda huge wire loom??? cleaned it off and found an ID number, the internet tracked that down to a Security System.... well, removed all of that crap too.... as I don't have the remote that went with it, so that is useless...:frown2:

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I am going to mark the hoses with tape but putting a matching number on the location may have to be the picture with the taped hose as a location. Since I intend to soak the carbs in hot water its possible those will float off. I think I may get a fine point sharpie marker. Its permanent and do not believe the soaking should affect it. Will try a test piece first.

Spiralout: I already have a impact driver. Had to use it to get the air cleaner base off. Will look for the long flatblade. Thanks for the heads up on that. I bought the phillips from Lowes.

Discovered last year a fellow moved in down the street that had been out of the country...I noticed him he came tooling by on an
old VFR Honda Sabre 1000!!! Could not miss him. Gray hair, no helmet. He would turn the corner in front of my house, shut the motor off and coast into his garage. Its an 84 or 85 model. Went down to introduce my self and discovered he had the matching 700cc V4 interceptor in his garage AND a bike I wanted to own in the 70's a 1971 Norton Commando he was getting activated after being in Florida storage for awhile. He had owned it since his twenties!!! He is about my age in mid-sixties....Great to have a neighbor that keeps things as long as I do.
Ok off to work this morning.
David

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Update:
Slow progress, carb is unburied from the air cleaner housing, only have three hoses left to disconnect (hardest ones) I finally
had to use a regular label maker to create my labels long enough to wrap around the hoses to stick to each end of the label. They will not stick to the hose.

Leaving some hoses in place on the carb as they will come off with the carb as an assembly. Taking plenty of pictures.
The clamps on the isolators to intake manifold.....The right side was reasonably tight....the left side clamp was not even finger tight.... could be vacuum leak??? With the two large hoses the run to the carbs with radiator fluid still connected I did
move the carb around a bit.
Since I still work full time and on my feet most of the day I can only lean over the bike for so long before my back starts giving me fits. Figure I will be able to get the carb off by saturday some time.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Finally got the carb off the bike yesterday. Actually had to pry some on it slowly. Then it popped off the rubber isolators.
FWIW the pilots are slotted not the d-shape some have described that came installed on their bikes. One question, HOW in the
heck do you adjust the pilots when you cannot even see them? Mine being a california version of the 1500 has a whole
lot of hoses covering the side of the carb the pilots are on.
Thanks
David

·
It aint rocket science
3,809 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Separated both carbs this evening. Only one hitch. had to drill off one screw head on the slide cover. Then will get an easy out
to remove the threaded shaft. There was some sludge in the bowl and looked like some accumulation in the main jet.
Also the carbs on Martino's website are very different that my 88 model where the main and idle jets are concerned. The idle
jet is in very solid and its going to get replaced but decided will boil the carb up for awhile in distilled water, get it good a hot
then try to back it out. The accelerator pump looked ok, no splits and the slide rubber is clean and what I think is in very good
condition for a 28yr old bike. However I am dreading putting it all back together. I have pictures of everything. Left most all the vacuum hoses together in an assembly and disconnected ONLY at the source from the carb.

The rubberized insulated heat shield over the manifold is very stiff and still have not removed it.
Not going to skip removing it for inspection of the hoses beneath but will do so AFTER I get the carbs all back together in one
piece.

DriverRider: Thanks for the pilot screw limiter mod tip. I will use it. I was looking at them a bit ago and wondering how to get a better range of adjustment.
Thanks
David

·
Premium Member
491 Posts
use Vinegar instead of water, does a better job
Do you have any experience with this? Boiling an aluminum alloy or brass in an acidic solution seems to me like it would discolor them. The only carbs I've ever HAD to boil in water were ones that sat so many years that they were gummed up and impossible to disassemble otherwise. Normally, carb cleaner and compressed air is plenty.

·
Administrator
57,481 Posts
used it for other stuff in my electronics shop, can't recall if I used it on aluminum, and, that might not be a good idea.

however, Simple Green is neutral and I used that a lot on anything and everything in my UltraSonic cleaner.

·
Premium Member
3,368 Posts
TXRLGL1500, There was a Product Update for the 1988 Gold Wing. (1988 GL1500 Carburetor Vent Hose Routing)

This only applied to 1988 Gold Wing's up through vin # 1HFSC2200JA004107.

You can tell if this Update was performed by opening the fuel filler door. If you see a "Vacuum Fuel Valve, the product update was done.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
John
I have put a very mild solution of vinegar in the water. Less than a couple of oz. or so. What I have discovered its does not discolor anything. I used it full strength on some exterior parts and the bottom of the float bowl. I agree it is acidic but do not think I have mixed it strong enough to eat anything up. Its in the pot now going to boil it out for about four hours or so. Then attempt to pop the slow speed jet out and blow everything out with air compressor. I have used simple green and purple power on other things and both products are excellent. FYI: There is a great cleaner my wife and I have used on EVERYTHING
that can be purchased at the Dollar Store...its called "Simply Awesome". Its cheap and works incredibly well on ANYTHING
and biodegradable

Dboher
Just did a search...yes the update was done. I had bypassed the autopetcock a couple of years ago when gas was not getting by
the valve. Rebuilt the valve and things were fine for awhile and it started failing again. Bypassed it and left it that way. Going to go back using the autopetcock again.

The reason I am not using carb cleaner as I have in the past its just way too smelly. Everything I do in the garage (odor wise) comes right in the house.

Once I get this all sorted out back together am going to consider selling ol' blue. Thinking 1800. Wife is adamant about not selling this bike but need something a bit more uptodate. And its not her working on it.

21 - 40 of 161 Posts