Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

101 - 120 of 161 Posts

·
It aint rocket science
3,890 Posts
No such thing as a vacuum fuel return valve and he knows what the petcock is.

If what you mean is that hard metal pipe that goes to each carb and then back around rear of air box is flowing gas that means the carb(s) are flooding.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #102
My finger pointing to the leaking valve. There is a lot of flow once this gets going and the bike only runs a second or two.
Cannot find this part on any parts fiche. Remember this was a recall on the 88 year model.
This connects to a metal manifold that has two rubber hoses the runs to each carb and tees into this valve.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #104
Yes, thinking I will tap on the tops of the carbs later. I failed to mention installing a new fuel pump the one we have a sticky on. What this valve does is beyond me.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
It looks like it takes tank vapors and sucks them back into the carb when activated.

You mention that it goes to each carb? This does not look like it would do that. Also, it looks like it gets vacuum from the same line that runs your petcock.

Could you have this "plumed" wrong?

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Personally, I would remove all this stuff and check your "pluming" out.

I would replace the gas cap with a regular one without a "barb", have the petcock run right from the manifold and not the carb, and cap/plug any remaining open vacuum lines or barbs.

Kick that extra crap to the curb on garbage day.

Use the KISS method... Keep It Super Simple!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #108
Magic Fingers:
It not mis-plumbed (LOL) as I never de-plumbed that part while doing this. Basically a couple of years ago I bypassed the autopetcock and left all that stuff alone. These run to the top of each carb and are vents. I agree with DriverRider the carbs are likely flooding and all that gas would be on running down to on top of the motor if this plumbing is removed. When the carbs were rebuilt I did not replace needles and seats or the floats. Thinking maybe I shoulda now. Hope the new fuel pump is not overpowering the floats. However its the same one that is recommended as a replacement. The petcock runs from a source on the intake manifold. There are no less than 9-10 vacuum hoses running to those carburetors.
Not going to get in a hurry to change anything right now, will see if tapping or moving the bike up and down will seat the floats.
They were free and loose when assembled.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #109 (Edited)
Came home this afternoon and cranked the bike to get some fuel up in the carbs. Cranked only a bit to get some past the petcock. Then I disconnected the fuel pump. The bike cranked and fired up and ran smoothly, sounded real good. I had tapped on the carbs last night, this morning and will run it this way bit. May see about getting a fuel pressure gage inline to see how many psi the pump is outputting. After all this I liked the carbs not bogging down when throttle was applied.
Hope Everyone's Good Friday is Blessed.
Thanks
David
restarted and let it run some more just on the gas in each bowl. I do have a leak at the hoses from the radiator will reposition the clamps. At least got it to warm up. And added some fresher gas to it. Everytime I reconnected the fuel pump flooding would start.

·
Administrator
58,971 Posts
The fuel pump only outputs ~2.5-3.5 psi so make sure the gauge you buy is one that will read low pressures.... I found one that reads up to about 10 psi.

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #111
The fuel pump installed is the one most here seem to have landed on Napa P72190. Funny after disconnecting power from the pump it was siphoning from the tank. Its got a ragged sound to it....most likely leftover old gas lots of seafoam in it. At what point power wise do the slides kick in? When the engine is under load? Hindsight, 28yr old carb, never been into, I wish I could have afforded new slides. But they looked like new to me. No holes anywhere nice and pliable, etc.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
I wish I could have afforded new slides. But they looked like new to me. No holes anywhere nice and pliable, etc.

Lucky you. When I rebuilt my carbs they were a mess (pics in my photo gallery below) and both needed to be replaced. Both had splits in them and were a mess. They were something in the neighbourhood of $215cnd each. A big ouch!

Tim

·
Premium Member
1,025 Posts
Discussion Starter #114
Magic Fingers:
I do not think they are that much here. If they were I would be selling this bike, and may still do it after I get this sorted out. Simply
put beginning to think it would be better to get a newer one by about 20yr or so. Envious of AZGL1800 for him getting an 1800.

John (AZGL1800)
ARE You saying I might have to pull the carbs to change seats and needles along with the floats????? Maybe the pump I have is pushing more psi....if it is I am putting in the old pump.....What I did not mention earlier when I replaced the second pump and discovered it was not pumping anything was a "WELL DUUHHHH" moment. There was only about an 1 1/2 worth of fuel in the tank and the pump was not picking up any fuel!!!! Anyway now I am thinking maybe its needle and seat time along with new floats.....almost.... From what I am observing is the left side carb seems to be the one overflowing from two of the orfices above the slide opposite the spray nozzle from the accelerator pump.

Somehow I do not think pulling the carbs for the second time is going to be the ordeal it was the first time!!!

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Practice makes perfect!

Our local Honda dealer does not budge from the official Honda recommended pricing structure. They were something like $185 plus tax @ 15%.

Parts are m ore expensive up here regardless how we get them.

Tim

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
Here's an alternative. I installed one of these last October, so far, so good...
http://jbmindustries.com/KeihinVGinstructions.html

:grin3: THANK YOU !!!! :laugh:

I didn't know these even existed out there! I have another set of 1500 carbs out in my garage that are crying to be rebuilt and I would love the chance to rebuild them. They are in just as bad shape as the ones I rebuild before. I love that kinda project.

I wonder what a totally clean, rebuilt and ready to install set of carbs are worth? Hmmmmm.

AZgl1800 - This little bit of info can't go in to obscurity! Can this info be a sticky somewhere in the reference area???

Tim

Reactions: AZgl1800
101 - 120 of 161 Posts