Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need some help here and don't know where to look.

I just had my carbs out, took them all apart, cleaned, etc. and put them back together. I took both carb slides out and visually checked them and both diaphragms look fine to me. I could not see anything resembling any holes or anything of the sort. I also replaced all of the vacuum lines that seemed any kind of suspicious, as well as all of the rubber vacuum lines on the carbs themselves.

Now I have the carbs back in the bike, started it up, got the float bowls filled and the accelerator nozzles work, but when I blip the throttle, only the right side carb slide moves. The left stays put. I can push it with my fingers and it feels smooth.

I have not put the bottom of the air box in yet if that would matter. I haven't even filled the coolant yet, in case I need to take the carbs back out again.

Is there a way to test the vacuum on each slide with a vacuum pump to see if it pulls them in? Or is that not possible? I did verify that both end caps on the carb diaphragms are on in the correct orientation so that that little vacuum hole isn't covered.

:sadguy:

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not yet. They were sync'd before they were disassembled though.

Some more info... They make a different sound when moving with fingers. The right one makes more of a whoosh sound. The left one doesn't. It appears they pull air from that half moon oval shaped hole on the outer edges of the top plate. If I plug the right hole with my thumb the right slider springs back very slowly. If I plug the left hole, the left slider springs back instantly.

·
Administrator
27,951 Posts
You can test it off the bike with a shop vac connected to the carbs individually, be sure to drain the fuel. It should rise as you open the throttle. If not check the diaphragm again and that the cap seals off.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Here is a pic showing where the slide diaphragm has a vacuum signal.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
'95 Aspy
1,131 Posts
Not yet. They were sync'd before they were disassembled though.

Some more info... They make a different sound when moving with fingers. The right one makes more of a whoosh sound. The left one doesn't. It appears they pull air from that half moon oval shaped hole on the outer edges of the top plate. If I plug the right hole with my thumb the right slider springs back very slowly. If I plug the left hole, the left slider springs back instantly.
Hi,
You're rigth, they DO! pull air from that oval shaped hole, and if when it's plugged the left slider doesn't return slowy,it could be either the diaphragm or the "O" ring around the cover, in wich case is not getting the nedded vaccum to operate properly.
After you get that fixed, even they were sync'd before; you took them apart, so they better be sync'd again.
Mario

·
Registered
239 Posts
You can use compressed air to check slide operation(I always do BEFORE installing). That way if it doesn't work, you can fix it without removing carbs again.
It sounds like you got diaphragm in wrong,slipped out of the groove,or you have a hole in it.If it worked before. probably just slipped out of the groove.
No need for vacuum! Just put compressed air through the back where the slide gets its air supply. Should be a flat oval opening above throat or carb. NO need to remove carbs to check that.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
Carburetors are precision metering devices and it is not advisable to blow compressed air into an assembled carb and is covered under CARBS 101.:)

·
Registered
239 Posts
Carburetors are precision metering devices and it is not advisable to blow compressed air into an assembled carb and is covered under CARBS 101.:)
I guess I messed everyone carb I ever built with vacuum slide up then...Amazing that they all seem to work fine. There has been a lot in my life time. Everyone can do it their way. I just posted the quickest and easiest way to check in or out of bike.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I found the problem. There is a carb vent tube coming out of each carb that goes to a T connector. The left carb vent tube had come unplugged from that T connector somehow while I was installing the carbs.

Now I have a question regarding that. If it came off that easily, is that a problem? And I don't understand why that caused the slider to not work. It's just a vent tube that isn't connected to anything at the other end isn't it?

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
...The left carb vent tube had come unplugged from that T connector... If it came off that easily, is that a problem? ...
Yes for any tube/hose, whatever it's purpose. I generally add spring clips to every rubber hose connection, regardless of whether or not they were there originally... rubber hardens over time, causing leaks or disassembles the joint.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
I just posted the quickest and easiest way to check in or out of bike.
I must admit I am a fan of the compressed air trick as long as you keep the nozzle a good distance away. Saved many a heartache when using old diaphragms by knowing it is not seated correctly before reinstalling.:lash:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.