Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I just recently purchased a 1998 Goldwing 1500 SE with about 15,000 miles on it. I was driving it back to Canada and ran into some carburetor troubles....I think. The bike had been dropped but there was very little damage. It also had not been driven for some time....not sure how long but am guessing about a year or more.

On the drive back the bike would intermittently lose power like it was running on five cylinders and then it would catch and run well again. This happened several times. One day I ran all day with no issues.....the next day it couldcould stop and catch just riding around town.On the last day of my trip it lost power early in the morning and neverwent back to full power. Whenit was running on partial power the gas just poured through it.....real lousy gas mileage.

I did speak to one Goldwing tech on the trip (they did nothave time to help as they were backlogged) and he thought it may be a slide in the carburetors....He told me to run a few cans of seafoam through it an I did.....not sure if ithelped.I have an appointment booked to get the carbs checked out. Any other ideas? Thanks, Briano

·
Other side of the pond
3,409 Posts
imported post

If you have it booked in to be checked briano, it kind of makes our input redundant. Did you get any fuel leaking onto the ground, or any other signs that would indicate flooding?

·
Premium Member
1,215 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum ! I can't be of ant help with a 1500, but sure others here will,without holding your future appointment against you ( covering your a** in my opinion ).

Good Luck Jim :waving::waving:

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,578 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the gas that was in the tank...stank. And now it has cost you a carb rebuild.

Hopefully it's just a plugged up fuel filter.

Oh yeah, and welcom to the forum.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

I would definitely say it is in the carburetors, and a carburetor is a carburetor, car, bike, Mikuni, Kehin, Tillotson, Holley, Weber, Stromberg, whatever. They are all easy to work on once you get them off. Being dropped should not have anything to do with the carbs, but not being ridden for a while will definitely result in plugged up carbs. Seafoam is good stuff, but can only do so much. The 1500 only has 2 carbs, and while I understand they are a bear to get off, it's not rocket science. Might take some time, and you can avoid frustration by taking the time you need. I would suggest removing both carbs, taking them apart, giving them a thorough cleaning, check everything, replace any broken or worn out parts, and put it back. The manual will explain everything. I hate to see anyone get ripped off by a shop, but, if that's what you want, it's your choice. Maybe the shops in Canada are not as bad as the ones in the U.S.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the forum Briano !!! You will find these fellas to be quite helpful even though they are a little cynical about the dealers, ( which I have been known to be as well) :ROFL:

Do keep us posted on what the shop comes up with and then if you have any other questions etc we can jump in and help you out !!!

Ron

aka Big Brown

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Welcome briano., i would stay away from the dealers for carb. work as it will cost you a bundle .
I would let the seafoam treatment do its work first.
If you neglected to drain the old fuel before riding it then you need to replace the fuel filter asap.
Treat the new fuel with Seafoam as directed on the can and ride the bike until it hopefully clears up your problem.
It might take a few tankfulls of riding , keep us informed.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.