Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi all,

Summer's coming, I've managed to make enough space in the garage to get to a) the 'Wing and b) my spanners. So...

When I put the bike (GL1500 SE) away last year, I couldn't hear the stereo properly. I got a couple of good leads from here (fuse 13 being one) but nothing seems to cure it.

It seems like it's on permanent mute. The mute button on the handlebar control is working fine and flashes up on the LCD properly when I press it. But the sound don't get not no louder :(

The system came with a CB setup which I removed, but was working fine afterwards.

Removing or replacing fuse 13 doesn't do anything to anything- doesn't affect the radio, doesn't affect the starting circuit. I suppose the next thing to do is trace the red/yellow wire and make sure it's getting 12v at the stereo?

Does anyone of you kind people have any other ideas? I've got a spanner or two and a multimeter and I know the difference between them ;) but this has me stumped!

Is it likely the stereo has gone Norwegian Blue? Expensive to replace I'd expect :(

Cheers!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Is this just with the speakers or the headset also?
Did you clean the switches with spray electrical contact cleaner?
Is the head phone icon on the LCD showing? If so there is a button on the radio to push to get it back to speakers.

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Mine did the same thing. I had to remove the plugs and reinstall them.if you pull the key cover up the plugs are under a rubber boot. must have been a bad connection!!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

MONKEY WRENCH wrote:
Mine did the same thing. I had to remove the plugs and reinstall them.if you pull the key cover up the plugs are under a rubber boot. must have been a bad connection!!
Yes it could be that too. Spay those connectors w/electrical contact cleaner and put together and take apart several times and spray each time to clean the contacts.

Be sure and post what you find to help others along later that read this and may be experiencing the same.
:waving:

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
imported post

The ground to the mute button sometimes has problems. I solved mine by running a new ground wire to the button.

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hi

I don't have the headset connectors, I removed those as well. I've unplugged and re-plugged the muti-connector in the back of the stereo at least a couple of times.

Pressing the headset/speaker button on the radio cuts the speakers so it seems to be working OK.

"MUTE" comes up on the dash when I press the button so it seems the button is working too.

The "mute volume" control on the radio doesn't seem to do much, whereas it did before...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Have you tried another set of speakers? Maybe yours are blown?

·
Premium Member
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

OK now, after a tip, I've looked into the cassette player and it won't load a new tape or open the cover using the eject button. Is this more common or does anyone have any pointers?

Cheers :)

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

On that #13 fuse (the 5A "Backup" fuse that you mention in your original post) -- that should also hold the clock's time and radio station preset. -- if the station's stay in memory over night and the clock is holding time well enough, then the #13 fuse is NOT the issue.

Sadly, if the clock and station memories items ARE functioning, and the output amps are still not driving and the cassette eject is not ejecting (eject is electronic only on the later year bikes, older 1500's have mechanical eject mechanisms), then this woudl show that 12V from the Backup fuse are indeed reaching the radio (on that Yellow wire with red-stripe there at outside squareed-corner of the long connector).

When you removed the CB, did you pull the harness connection out of the radio as well (the "middle" sized plug of the three that are on the SE radios)? -- if that's removed, then you can discount any odd behaviors (there'll be no need for any of those connections without the CB anyway, so if it's not unplugged, unplug it)

If there's a 'false mute' signal coming through the handelbar mute switch -- the "MUTE" indicator would darken on the LCD, so that's a good thing to check (assuming no - since you've stated)

The Radio outpu will also mute whenever you press the starter button (for start or for reverse), no idictor or anything, BUT generally ifthis is "stuck on" you'd have solenoid "A" pulled in or your bike wouldn't be able to start (so if you can start, and the starter motor does not run on .. this this isn't the Mute condition -- )

ACan you adjust the air in your shocks OK (with the air pump, incerease and decrease pressure in the shock and see this on the display) - if so then the ACC fuse (#10, 10A not the little 5A in the #1 spot) is also happy.

Does the backlighting for the radio come on when you turn on the radio?

How does it play in your headset? (uses the same power source as the power amps, but would eliminate speaker/fader related issues)

Since the power amps and eject (later models) mechanism share a power source... At that point, barring a loose connector/plug, or other symptom I would suspect that you may have chrome knobs? or internal issues in the radio itself.

·
Pwhoever
3,084 Posts
imported post

I had that issue once awhile back when I still had the factory stereo. No matter whether the mute was on or off, it sounded muted. Satan mentions both the #10 fuse and the #13 fuse. I played around by pulling them both and then putting them back in and I think that did the trick. IIRC, I think I did it with the radio on, and the key in the ACC position. I don't remember in exactly which order I reinstalled them but I got it working normally again. Try playing around with both fuses and with the radio off first and if that doesn't work then with the radio turned on.

·
Paid Site Sponsor
680 Posts
imported post

Do you have 12V on both sides of fuse 13. If so it is more than likely losing the voltage at a land at the neck of the stereo. All of the SE models had the full logic decks.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.