Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Radio transmitters such as CB's require that the antenna lenght be tuned for optimum performance of the transmitter. A 1/16" difference from tthe optimum lenght can result in 50% of your transmit power being wasted.

Antenna is tuned using an SWR (standing wave ratio) meter. The meter needs to be hooked up in line between the radio and the antenna.

So here's the question: How much work is required to access the CB radio where the antenna lead is connected?

thanks
Mark in MN

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

Not a lot really Mark. The CB antenna connects to the one from the CB radio just behind the CB radio. Remove the left fairing pocket to get at it. the only problem is the connectors on the antenna are the type you see on car radio antennas and you need an adapter so these willconnect tothe SWR meter.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

any idea where I'd get adapters?

·
Premium Member
165 Posts
imported post

I had the same prob and made a cable.I got the parts from radio shack

Dman

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
Radio transmitters such as CB's require that the antenna lenght be tuned for optimum performance of the transmitter. A 1/16" difference from tthe optimum lenght can result in 50% of your transmit power being wasted. Mark in MN
Tuning the antenna to the transmitter makes a big difference, but at 11 meters, 1/16" inch isn't going to make a measurable difference. At microwave frequencies it sure will but when the 1/4 wave length is nearly ten feet, 1/16" is negligible.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Question: when tuning the antenna one of the variables involved is antenna cable lenght. Doesn't the use of the adapters makes the whole procedure inaccurate?

·
Premium Member
1,153 Posts
imported post

cldryder wrote:
Question: when tuning the antenna one of the variables involved is antenna cable lenght. Doesn't the use of the adapters makes the whole procedure inaccurate?
Yes thats right, to a certain extent. An ideal situation would be where the coax leads on the Wing plugged right into the meter without these adapters. But in the real world, these adapter leads are only about a third as long as the main coax leads and that makes very little difference to your SWR reading, once the leads are between 2-3 feet long. More importantly than the adapter leads are;

Position of the meter, which should be in line with the CB radio and antenna. On your GL1500 this should be on the left side of the bike, making sure the joints of the adapters aren't grounding on the engine bars.

Doing this in the open is much more effecient than in a street with buildings around.

I know a GL1800 owner who shortened hisCB leads as much as possible (they are a couple of feet too long) and cut the ends off and soldered on PL259 connectors so he could plug them straight into his SWR meter.We bothreckon that the resulting range of his CB is much better after this, it's certainly better than mine. I'm considering going down this road when I get time.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.