Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a buddy that just took delivery on a brand new 2012 Goldwing. He offered to let me drive it, but I declined because I know what happens when I go for a test drive. But I did sit on it and noticed a couple of things that are VASTLY different from my '95 GL1500.

First, while I can flat foot the GL1500 it takes a bit of effort. The new GL1800 is no problem so I know the seat height is a couple of inches shorter.

Second, when I get on mine and it's on the side stand I have the really muscle it over to get it upright. But with the new one I could stand it up straight with just hip action. No hands on grips.

This tells me that the 1800 would be much more responsive in turns and much easier to handle at slow speed.

Now the question:

Is there anything I can do to lower the COG on my old 1500 or do I just need to start doing strength training?

Oh yeah, another question. Is the COG lower on the pre 2012 1800s?

·
Premium Member
1,250 Posts
imported post

Are you sure that he just didn't have the rear suspension set lower. That would have both effects that you mentioned. I can make my 1500 into a tippy toe machine or a flat foot machine with a simple adjustment of the air pre-load of the rear shocks.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,186 Posts
imported post

95 Red Wing wrote:
Now the question:

Is there anything I can do to lower the COG on my old 1500 or do I just need to start doing strength training?
Um, strength training exercises would be a whole lot cheaper :action: But, you could put on a CT and lower the bike a full inch. Ask Rudy about that one.

Having ridden a brand new 07 gl1800, I agree it is much more nimble and lighter feeling in the twisties. Made me want one, but my wallet reminded me of the "facts 'o life" :readit:

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

The 1800 is a completely different bike. One thing that didn't change from the 1500 is that under the covers stuff is pretty packed in. Moving something around to lower the CG would be tough.
Big shoulders and a smaller belly would move the CG up so I vote for more beer.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

Agree with AZ ... put a CT on and you will notice a big difference. It seems from the saddle to be lots more than the 3/4" I lowered mine with a CT.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hey thanks for the replies folks. I do know the problem is not the belly to shoulders ratio. I've got MUCH more bottom weight than top :) I am definitely gonna go to the dark side on my next tire change, just makes so much sense. And I do have my rear shocks pumped up pretty good, figured I needed it for my 230+ pounds of body weight. Will lower a tad and see if it helps.

Thanks again.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

All this talk of the 1500's beening unwieldy seems funny.
Having had one for a grand total of 1 week I find it pretty nimble for a big bike. Mine's a 90. I find the width at the saddle the worst part. The other thing I have noticed is it is better balanced with 2 up than solo.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

A lot of it is down to the footpeg and seating position. I rode a 1500 for about 60 miles and it felt "higher" like 95 Red Wing described. But my knees were bent more and I reckoned that had a big bearing on how the bike felt.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

I find that the 1500 spreads your feet more than the 4 cyc wings. This seems to make it feel more stable. The draw back is it is easier for your foot to slip on loose stuff.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
445 Posts
imported post

My 88/1500 rides much higher than my 82. Yes I understand two more cyclinders change things but my 82 was great in town because it was much more nimble than the 1500.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I just moved up from an 84 1200 GW Aspy to a 94 1500 SE...and I really notice the COG issue. do a lot of parades and manouvers and this bike is more difficult to handle than the old one. It rides a lot better on the highway but it is a bruiser doing manuevers. Are there any 'perts out there with any suggestions on how to make it easier to manouever? :watching::watching:

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Some one out there mentioned a dvd named drive like a pro or something like that. I'm thinking very good info.
For a very slow turn look at the center point of the circle your turn is making. Nor where you are tring to go . Looking to the center of the turn seems to make the bike turn automatricly. At higher speeds you should be looking closer to where you want to go but still to the inside of the target.
Wilf

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

I'd bet the CG is a bit lower on the 1800 mostly due to it's aluminum frame. The 1800 is about 40lbs lighter than a similarly equipped 1500 which is mostly weight saved in the frame.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.