Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I had a GL1200 that definately needed some technique when putting it up on the center stand. So I was a bit surprised when I bought a 1500 (99) a month ago and the cycle goes up on the centerstand so easy, I am seriously worried that with any down slope, it would roll right back off. As long as the stand is down, any honest pull backwards will put it on the stand. I tried my best to read the forum responses and found some related to a age realted weakness in the 1200's that left the stand mount point twisting or bending, but I didn't see anything like that listed for the 1500's. I looked under mine and it doesn't appear new, but it does appear solid and straight. It does hold the bike solid, it simply seems too good to be true. I don't have the suspension air cranked up too high. Does anyone have experience with this?

Scott

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

When on the centrestand, are both wheels still on the ground? If so, you may have a ride on/ride off stand.
I believe these stands are slightly shorter than the OEM stand that will allow you to park it on the stand by engaging reverse, and will also allow you to just jump on and ride away.

1500's with the OEM stand are like the 1200's; it does take a bit of technique to get them up on the centrestand.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

They are absolutely both on the ground. I'll take a look at a OEM parts site and see if I can get a diagram of what the stock stand looks like. It would be nice if that's all it was. If that doesn't clarify it for me I'll take a photo and upload that. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,169 Posts
imported post

I had a quick look but couldn't find any pics of an OEM stand, but I did find a link from cyclemax to the rideon/rideoff stand.
Does your stand look like this..... http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/86/5891??

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Your avatar looks like you have a ride off stand. If you need to get the rear wheel off the ground, put a piece of 1/2" ply under the stand. That's what I do when needed.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

By the way, my son lives so of you in Hancock, I was there for a couple weeks the end of Aug this past year.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
3,706 Posts
imported post

oldwing99 wrote:
They are absolutely both on the ground. I'll take a look at a OEM parts site and see if I can get a diagram of what the stock stand looks like. It would be nice if that's all it was. If that doesn't clarify it for me I'll take a photo and upload that. Thanks.
If it's all round steel tubing, it's likely stock or a cut down stock (like mine on my 1200, cut 3/4" shorter and has wider feets) but if it's made with a bit of square steel tubing, it's the aftermarket ride off stand which is shorter.

:action:

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Every response to my question was helpful but the picture (attached) actually shows it better than the naked eye and that is definitely square tubing. Thanks! The prospect of a weak cross-member was not pleasant.

Chippy01, my kids think getting help from Ireland is very cool!!!

Newday777, Hancock is about as just south of me as you can get up here. That was a little jaunt for you from home.

CrystalPistol, my riding buddy moved from Wisconsin to Florida a couple weeks ago so if I am convinced by June that this bike is good to go, I plan on Wisconsin to the Tampa area by way of the Blue Ridge Parkway. Looking forward to that part of the country.

Attachments

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Same stand as mine except mine is Chrome.

That was just the start of my journey & to get my Darksider cookies. I know where Plover is, went to Menard's to get some things for my son's deck. Left there 9/8 to be at Somerset PA for 9/11 then up to NH & Maine, spent till 11/12 then So through W VA, Eastern TN, NC, SC& west on the I-20 & I-10 to get to Vegas for Thanksgiving with my other 2 sons & grandkids. 13,000 miles, 3 1/2 months of fun riding & visiting along the way.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Sitting on the bike you can get it on the stand, put it in reverse, hold down the stand with left foot while its touching booth feet of the stand and push the reverse button.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Thanks. Another friend has a Beemer LT with the power center stand. He will get a kick out of this.

I look forward to trips like that. This trip to Florida will come back through the Cherohala Skyway and Deals Gap. I also hope to catch the south east section of Ohio which I have read about a few times in a publication I receive.

Ride Safe all!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

When are you going?
Did Deals Gap, the Snake near Bristol into NC and Smoky Mtn NP.
The Diamondback is supposed to be a good run near Knoxville if you have time. Lots of great riding there. I have a friend from here in Greenville TN, spent 4 days there. SE Ohio I hear is great too. If in W VA do the 150, up the 55/28 and do the old 55, it's great and no traffic as it's been bypassed. Follows river and up and over great switchbacks small passes.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

I usually open up schedule wise in the summer in late June. So probably starting in the last couple days of June. Warm time to head to Florida, but I have to get when the getting is good. I will look into your suggestions. I'll be open to plugging in whatever is near the areas I go through. Someone else already told me there is an extension above the Blue Ridge that adds another real nice 100 miles.

Thanks!

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

Just be careful with that type of stand, as your bike can/will roll forward and unload off of the stand and take a nap! Not practical on anything else but hard asphalt/concrete and inoperable ona softer surface, like grass/gravel/dirt etc

A riding pal of mine started up his bike, placed it on his ride off stand and went in the house for a couple of seconds to get something, only to find his 09 Street Glide on it's side when he came back out, shortly. Cost him over $700 in paint repair costs alone! ... and yes, he removed the stand at the same time it went in for repairs.

Just sayin ......

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
imported post

You just have to be careful and assess the area where you are parking your bike. if uncertain move to a safer location or you could use your side stand.

Terry

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

The ride off stand would make checking tire pressure, and changing oil more dificult.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

I carry a piece of 1/2" ply, 6"x12" to put down in these situations. It fits in the trunk or saddlebag.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I thought about the roll off being an issue but I understand the parking adjustments. I am too much of a pessimist to park on anything that's not firm without a puck for the side stand so the board for the center stand makes sense for firming that up and servicing as well. I've been coaching motorcycle safety classes since 1994 so there are too many former students out there for me to risk being seen needing to pick mine up off the side, not to mention the damage. I appreciate the insight and I'll probably keep it the way it is at least initially. If it keeps me worried I suspect I could find an original replacement or a taller aftermarket replacement.

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Not really shure what the adantage of this is if it does not get the rear wheel off the ground?
I find the 1500 very easy to put up on the stock stand. Altho I must admit I do not trust the side stand as much as I do on my smaller two wings.
Wilf

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

If I'm parking on any kind of decline, where there is a remote possibility of the bike moving ahead, I'll either put it in 1st gear, or in reverse, to act as a sort of parking brake.

When parking on something other than concrete, such as hot pavement on a real hot day, grass/dirt/gravel, I use a wrist band and the top plate off of a junction box that I carry in my tank bag's side pocketto place under the side stand.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.