Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all:waving:
I have a query about the radio switch housing on my 1989 gl1500?? i have posted about this problem before and got a few grateful replys all suggesting useing contact cleaner to free up the mute switch, but it seems to me that the mute switch was never stuck at all, but broken inside the housing!! as it was very easy to push in but it would never click and stay in place, just pop straight out as soon as i let go of it, so now it's stuck in mute permanately.
My question is the switch housing on my wing has three switches, one for mute, one for program tune, and one for channel change, but i can change channels on the main radio console!!.
the thing is i have seen one on ebay for a 1989 wing but it only has the mute, and programm tune switches on it, would the be a problem doing a straight swap over, or would i have to stick with the same configeration???.
Any replys would be great, mark

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
The 1989 switch assembly should be identical for all gl1500s in all countries. Some have the optional CB PTT lever, which is a separate switch.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
More than likely a broken spring inside of your unit.

It would help if you had a photo of the switch

Here is a shot of mine, which is on a 92 Aspencade. Does this look like the one on EBay you are looking at?

I don't know the difference of the switches between those on an Aspencade, or on a SE or on the earlier Wings such as yours, made before the introduction of the 3 models

You can get them new from the dealer for < $40 US (Part # 17 in this diagram)

Dusty

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
Did you try WD40 first before the electrical contact cleaner. I have found that to help on a couple bikes to free up the switch properly. And then follow with several more applications over the next few weeks. These will get working but need lots of attention from lack of preventative maintenance.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
More than likely a broken spring inside of your unit.

It would help if you had a photo of the switch

Here is a shot of mine, which is on a 92 Aspencade. Does this look like the one on EBay you are looking at?

I don't know the difference of the switches between those on an Aspencade, or on a SE or on the earlier Wings such as yours, made before the introduction of the 3 models

You can get them new from the dealer for < $40 US (Part # 17 in this diagram)

Dusty[/QUOTE

hi the switch that i have seen on ebay is the same as the one the you have identified in you picture, the only difference is my switches sit ontop of the switch gear where your J&M UNIT IS

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The 1989 switch assembly should be identical for all gl1500s in all countries. Some have the optional CB PTT lever, which is a separate switch.
Hi thanks for your reply:)
my switch gear doesn't have the optional CB PTT lever, it all sits ontop of the other switches. I'll try and upload some pics, but i seem to be having problems with that too!!!!

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you try WD40 first before the electrical contact cleaner. I have found that to help on a couple bikes to free up the switch properly. And then follow with several more applications over the next few weeks. These will get working but need lots of attention from lack of preventative maintenance.
Hi i have tried all the above but to no avail:( all of the switches move very freely so i think that dustys thoughts that the mute switch spring might be broken is correct???
what i really need to know is will taking the old three switch unit off and replacing it with the two switch one work???? as i can change channels on the main console

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.