349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Where do you guys put in a cig lighter adapter to plug in accessories like
Garmin or Tom Tom ect. on a 1500? How do you run your wiring
Thanks

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Many of us install the female portion in the left pocket of the fairing. The power (and ground) is often taken off the accessories terminals on the rear left of the bike, near the fuses. Check your manual for the exact location.

T.

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
I realize the left pocket is favored, but I wanted mine more accessible (12 volt air pump) so I mounted it in the unused CB panel, mine has a rubber cap..I used an Electrical Connection fuse panel keyed on by the accessory terminal on the stock fuse block....I also installed a Hot one in the trunk...good luck .....

If I had a do over I would use a different fuse block as the EC unit does not have ground block and I had to make my own....

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
I just installed a double-USB jack rather than a cig lighter plug, it can do everything I need now since everything uses USB now.

http://wingstuff.com/products/34223...et?context=gold_wing_gl1800-lights_electrical
That is listed for the 1800 but can be installed on any bike, just need a matching plug to wire it to and as said that can be wired to the Accessory lugs of the fuse panel or if you have an Accessory relay powered fuse panel.
If you use a cigarette lighter, mount it out if the weather as they do rust. My bike has one mounted near the key switch and I have replaced it once since getting the bike as it was rusted. Also have one in the left pocket that has been fine. I will replace the one by the switch with the one above as that USB is all I'll need and it's weather proof. I use the one in the pocket for my phone charging.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Here are the matching 2 wire plug ends
http://cyclemax.com/inc/sdetail/129/36020

Also just saw when you order online at Cyclemax in November you get entered in the drawing for gift cards to be given away each time you order.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
I like mine out in the open, easy to get to, and able to use any size 12 plug no matter how large or bulky (something a pocket can be a pain for) and also like more than just one outlet.

Mine is a nice looking 3 outlet box with a switch built in for each outlet and hardwired with inline fuse direct to the battery. This way the oulets can be turned on and I can use anything I want without having to turn on the key.

No, not everything is going to USB yet LOL
My 12v compressor and my FM transmitter thingy are still the big round 12v plugin types as well as other things like charging a 12V large flashlight.

I am getting a small bit of rust in my 3 outlet box, but not really a problem. I still get good contact and a simple cleaning and wipe with a light oil occasionally should fix it. Mine is of the type that the metal plate positive is separate from the round negative hole metal

As for mounting it, the wire was long enough to reach the battery fine so I just cut the plug end off and ran the wire under the false tank out of sight and out of the way. The outlet box is simply stuck onto the right side pocket hard cover with the sticky tape it came with.

This is the BEST way for me to have mine mounted. I have used all 3 outlets at same time a few times now, and the FM transmitter thing would be too bulky to mess with in a pocket also.
Charging Cell phone, GPS, MP3 player, no problem all at one time.

I also picked up a 2 USB plug in outlet at a $1 store for $1 so I can charge 2 devices with USB cables at once using just 1 outlet.

I also use that outlet box to plug in the 12v compressor when I need to top up a tire pressure a bit.

A couple things I like about the way I mounted mine to that hard cover and wired direct to battery.
1 I can plug in Cell phone or MP3 player etc.. and lock it in the pocket and let it charge while I am away from the bike. No need to leave key in bike turned on or have to stay with bike.
2 If the hard cover ever pops off I will not lose it, it is wired to the bike now since the outlet box is stuck to it.
3 no holes needed and I can remove the box anytime if I want.
4 I like the always on option, if I ever need to work on bike in dark I can plug in a 12V light without turning on the bikes key which may be useful for some types of problems if they occur. For example if I was having to work on the Kill switch, starter button or headlight switch I probably would not want key on.

·
Premium Member
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks everyone for your replies !
One of my projects was to wire up my
GPS.
Can I use the ACC term to hook up my fog lights to and also
my Voltmeter?
Guess what I'm asking is how many wires can you hook up to the
ACC terminals on top of the fuse block?
Thx.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Fog lights ..........No Way. Add an Accessory fuse panel that is relay switched off the Accessory fuse.
that fuse is only 5 amp. Do you want to burn up your bike? You are trying to put too much on the stock wiring that is only 18 GA wire at most. Read Rudy's post on adding safe Accessory power in the reference & FAQs section.

Volt meter will be OK off acc fuse. Remember its only 5 amps.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Thanks everyone for your replies !
One of my projects was to wire up my
GPS.
Can I use the ACC term to hook up my fog lights to and also
my Voltmeter?
Guess what I'm asking is how many wires can you hook up to the
ACC terminals on top of the fuse block?
Thx.
Use the Acc. terminal to key on a relay powered aux. fuse block....its best to stay out of the main system...good luck

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
NO ACC, only use that connection to trip a relay on and off like others have said.
That way all the high power for the devices comes from the battery, not through the ACC, and the ACC only provides minor power to trip the relay.

That was another reason I wanted my outlet box wired direct to battery, I think my 12V compressor says it requires a 10amp supply which would certainly overload the ACC!

Be careful doing direct wire up on things that use the 12V outlet plug also.
Some of those plugs do more than just connect power. There may be other things in the plug that regulates power and such, just cutting off the plug and wiring direct may burn up some devices.

Some of those plugs are just a fused plug and passes power straight though and those you can cut off and wire direct. Some have a little circuit board inside. Not sure what is inside my GPS 12v plug but looking at it's size and shape it certainly is more than just a fuse.

Don't forget vehicles are not really a steady 12V, running down the road at a full charge the bike may be pushing 13.5-14.5 volts and that could fry some devices so the 12V plugs may have a tiny voltage regulator inside to limit power to only 12V.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.