Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a 1992 1500 goldwing i thought i needed the alternator replaced, i was adding some saddle bags lights and the kuryakan tailight bar and the light just went out, i checked the fusesand bulbs and ground. the 15A fuse in the fuse box heats up and even melts the plastic housing around the the blade fuse,so i removed the blade fuse and test the fuse panels and it has power even when the swith is in the off positin, this has been going on for a while when i let the bike sit for a few day the battery is to low to start the bike, can some one give me a tip.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

Quick tip
Don't try to start 1500 with low battery, it can kick back on the starter and break the Idler Gear. The idler gear is the one the starter turns to turn and start the engine, and if it breaks it's an engine out job to replace it.

Bought my 1500 with gear already broke, in research I found the 2 most common things to break that gear is engine kickback with a low battery, or Hydro Lock.

As for electrical, need to find out what runs on that fuse that over heats.
Not sure what you mean "light just went out" what light?

Is anything else still on when key is turned off?
Dash, radio, instrument lights?
I had a problem, self fixed, that a couple times when I would turn off my 88 1500 my radio and couple other things did not turn off with key like they should.
After a few minutes I would hear a CLICK and everything would turn off.
I was told there was probably a relay sticking when first turned off, then the click was the relay popping off when things turned off.

Mine did that about 5-6 times randomly during maybe a month.
Most the time it was just 2-3 minutes and it would click off, couple times about 10 minutes maybe?
One night it never shut off, I thought it would as normal and walked away in hard rain and forgot to check later. I found my instrument lights were also staying on. My battery went totally dead that night. After I charged the battery and got the bike running it never has happened again, about 2 months now.

Check around your battery to see if anything could be touching the posts at times also.
When mine was acting up and I had to charge the dead battery I found a large round black part, maybe an audio filter or such, really close to pos. post under the seat.
Not sure it it actually touched, but it was close enough it could.
I moved it a bit and put a couple layers of electrical tape between it and battery post to be sure they don't touch.

I wonder if on mine, when I sat on seat if I was pushing down the filter and it touched the battery and back fed the system somehow? Then when I'd get off the seat as the seat moved maybe the filter eventually raised back up off the battery letting things shut off.
Just a thought, no way to know since mine is not staying on anymore and I certainly won't short it that way on purpose to test the thought LOL

·
Administrator
26,544 Posts
imported post

Probably the #3 relay is sticking on, try switching it with #1 and see if the problem goes away. The #8 fuse has power all the time, that is normal. The reason it is getting hot is loose or corroded connections where it plugs into the fuse box.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

In a '92 USA specification 1500SE, the following 15A fuses are HOT with the key off:
* #2 Horn/Turn/Tail/Stop
* #5 Head Fuse
* #8 Tail/Meter/Position
* #3 Stop

In fact, the ONLY 15A fuse that is NOT hot full-time is the Ign/Start/Cruise fuse (#11) If this one has 12V with the key off there's a few things to look at.

Which fuse do you have that's melting? I would imagine that you've got a few things there drawing too much crurrent. Easy enough to check, but... we'll all need to know where to start ;)

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks for the advise i will look into it tonight when i get in from work. thanks Iwill let you know how it turned out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.