Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone heard of such a thing?

My thought process:
I was perusing some LED bulbs a few days ago and found a set of "switchback LED bulbs. These show white under normal running light conditions, but then turn amber when they go to turn signal operation, and switch back to white after the turn. I thought that would be really cool on my 96. But the turn signal lenses on my bike are amber, so a switchback light would be pointless.

But what if I had a clear lens? That would look good with a switchback bulb.

I've searched for "gl1500 front turn signal lenses" but haven't had any luck. I'm either finding clear lenses for the 1800, the 1500 Valkyrie, or basic round lenses for other dressers. Has anyone seen what I'm looking for?

The other thought I had was trying to find someone with a 3D printer, and just printing a clear replacement lens. Anyone here play with that kind of tech?

·
Registered
707 Posts
Bleach.

Lots and lots of bleach.

Actually I think it would look cool too but I don't know if it would be cool enough to be worth the effort. It's not as if they'd be bright enough for you to get any vision benefit from them.

·
Registered
653 Posts
I thought I had heard of clear lenses someplace, and it appears trikelady found them. That's one expensive "cool".

·
Premium Member
152 Posts
I'm pretty sure that the outer lenses on the '98 through '00 turn signal lenses are clear as TrikeLady says but internally there is an amber lens over the bulb. So a switchback bulb would still shine amber.

·
Did...did I do that?
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
There's no vision benefit at all for the rider. There should/could be a bit of a visibility boost though.

Trikelady and briese, thanks for that. I thought they'd changed the outer lens at some point, but I wasn't sure if the later signals and lenses would fit the 96.

In general, am I correct in thinking that most 4th-gen parts are interchangeable?

·
Magic Moderator
4,213 Posts
Yes, you can get the entire 98-00 headlight package and update the look of the Wing.
The only other way to get them cheaper would be from a salvage yard and then maybe open the fixture and remove the amber bulb cover and then use a good adhesive to reassemble it and make it water tight.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts