Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 88 has been gradually getting worse since i bought it 6yrs ago at 67k miles and now it has 103k. I tried Castrol and it was okay. I tried Amsoil 10w40 this summer and it was okay too.I did the preload the shift lever asecond before the actual shift and that helps. I finally changed to the Delo and my Wing does not like it. I sure hoped it would at less than $12 a gallon.I am not sure whatoil i want to try next. Niehaus cycle said not to use 20w50 when i mentionedusing it.I used Supertech 20w50once this summer and thought it did pretty good I don't have the 4th gear jump out problem and just wonderinghow long it will be until i do if ever.

Anyone have any thoughts on that?????????

I rebuilt the slaveabout 4yrs ago because it was leaking.

No slop in the clutch lever since i replaced the bushing and rod. I just flushed and bled the hydraulic and am still getting used to having to let the clutch lever out farthe...... soit is releasing the clutch alittle more than it did. I was hoping that would helpwith the clunky shiftingUP and really bad DOWN.

Just did the nightmare coolant hoses and orings and thermostatthis spring and i have 2 tires to put on this winter and other maintenance.

Iam having expensive thoughts of trading in for a 2012 while mine is still working. Who needs retirement money anyhow?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Hard to tell exactly what your problem is. Changing to a different type of oil usually doesn't make much difference to shifting although since it's a pretty subjective thing there are those who think it does. Your bike should be in good shape, my 1500 had 174,000+ miles on it when I sold it and was running like it did when new.

Shifts on a Goldwing can be a bit on the 'clunky' side, it's a pretty beefy tranny and an engine with a fair bit of torque. Technique makes a big difference in shifting noises. Shifting around 2500rpm also helps. With a slow turning six cylinder engine there's no reason to wind it up to high revs before shifting unless you REALLY need to get going in a hurry. The strong clunk and lurch on the first shift in the morning when the engine isn't up to temperature can begreatly reducedif you just hold the clutch in for ten seconds while leaving the transmission in neutralafter starting the engine. With most Goldwings with hydraulic clutches I've ridden the clutch engages pretty far out on the lever, maybe the last half inch at the end of the lever. The way a hydraulic clutch works there's really not much difference in the friction point of engagement between a new clutch and one that's pretty well worn out. The system is pretty much self adjusting, same as the disk brakes for that matter, the brake pedal position stays the same with new or old pads.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
...I rebuilt the slaveabout 4yrs ago because it was leaking...
> Did you replace Both the rubber 0-shaped Gaskets, at each end of the 2-long pin inside the slave cylinder? The Pin also can be worn --The only rebuild kit I've seen (by K&N) does not include either of those items, yet on my bike they were damaged at 100k miles.

See Item#15 & 16 as follows:

...and Item#14:

·
Premium Member
276 Posts

·
Premium Member
410 Posts
imported post

Are you saying the Wing shifts fine with Amsoil and Castrol? If so, I would be inclined to stick with one of them.

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,197 Posts
imported post

Thread unlocked now.

No one knows why it got locked, must be those Irish gremlins.

:badgrin:

·
Premium Member
7,190 Posts
imported post

I moved it from the General Discussion forum to here yesterday John. Sometimes when I do that it also locks the thread and I forget to check. Gremlins I think.

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

176K on my 88 1500 now.
It was a very slow riding year for me since I bought this one back around April/May this year.

I think P/O said he had used Quick Silver marine oil in mine.
Normal oil, NOT 2cycle LOL

When I did my oil change I used Delo 400, I've put about 3K or so on that oil now and all is fine for me. I do think shifting may be a bit more solid, harder sometimes but nothing I think I need to worry about.
I may try Rotella next change just to see if anything is different?

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

funny to see this this morning,normally i wear a full coverage helmat,but i decided to wear my open face yesterday for a little scoot,and man does that tranny of mine sound loud,just never heard before with a differant helmat,but it shifts smooth and engages ,i just make a firm ,not hard ,shift,been running rotella turbo disel oil,15 40,since replacing shifter and fork and all is well,differant riders have said to me that these machines are notorious for the loud clunk when changing gears,i find it just annoying but works fine,maybe it a lot in technique,never thought to try it my self,just my observation

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

I always wear an open helmet, face shield normally up except in pretty cold weather/nights.

I don't notice much noise myself really. Even with radio off.

Odd thing though I have noticed.
I do not like to have radio on when driving cars and trucks, I like to listen for odd noises that may be signs of trouble and just have peace and quite.
I listen to the radio far more on the wing than I ever do in the cars trucks LOL

Ever notice how much just "NOISE" there is in so many songs!
I often find myself wondering if the wing is making odd noises and turning the radio off for a few minutes!
NOPE, just crap in the song that sounds like dragging brakes or ticking lifters LOL
I rode home about 50 miles yesterday from a friends house, I turned the radio off at least 3 times thinking I had a strange noise coming from the 1500!

I know I worry too much, but the one time I don't worry about it will be the one time I should have!

·
Premium Member
6,132 Posts
imported post

I changed from Mother Honda oil to the Dello 400 last oil change. Heres the odd thing. Dello makes my shifts on the 1200 a LOT quieter, Unless.... I have just been on a long trip. Twice now, Upon returning from 300+ mile trips, the tranny goes back to clunking and it smoke A LOT on start up, but only for a few days, then it goes back to normal, no smoke and quiet shifting again.

Im due for another oil change soon and Im thinking of adding seafoam to the oil and ride it 100 or so miles to see what carbon deposit's it might remove to eliminate this problem, I like running Dello 400, it does make a big difference in the shifting.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

Chromo wrote:
snip...Odd thing though I have noticed.
I do not like to have radio on when driving cars and trucks, I like to listen for odd noises that may be signs of trouble and just have peace and quite.
I listen to the radio far more on the wing than I ever do in the cars trucks LOL ... snip....
Hi Chromo, I am just the opposite. I usually have the radio on when driving my truck or car but when I am on the Goldwing I hardly ever use the radio. I guess I just like the peace and quiet. Helps me just enjoy the ride.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

I always change my oil between 2 and 3,000 miles because it starts to shift rougher at least to me. Once I change the oil it is back to smooth shifting. How often do you change your oil? Mine is an 1800 and it sure shifts smoother with new oil.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks to everyone for replying. I typed this up several times only to have it deleted until they unlocked it. OOOPS!. I got a lot of practice typing. lol
Slave cylinder was only leaking clutch(brake) fluid so i only replaced #8,#9, #16 and if i would have had #14 I would have replaced that too. Does anyone know if that rod wears much?
I have to let my clutch lever out further now to engage so it seems like the clutch should be disengaging enough. Kind of contradicts itself the way it acts. At a standstill it is definitely disengaging but when it is moving it seems like it doesn't enough. The way it sounds when i shift ,, thicker oil would help cushion something in there.
A Honda dealership told me NOT to put 20w50 in it because the lifters will get gummed up and noisy. I never heard that one before. 20w50 should have as much detergent in it as anything else. Any how ,it was a little better shifting with Supertech 20w50 non syn. and the Castrol motorcycle Syn. 10w40 and the Amsoil !0w40 did okay too but not really any better. For the price i believe the Supertech was the best value. I usually changed oil 2500-3k depending on trips, but this summer it was changed a lot more often trying different oils. It definitely does NOT like Delo which is weird since most guys say it is good for them. It is rated as a very good diesel oil and i like the price.
For about 5yrs i did use Shell Syn. Rotella 5w40 and Shell e-mailed me back one time saying that they had the formula to be compatible with cycles and wet clutches and the newest oil bottles have the JASO MA rating on them .
I too just cranked the stereo up so i wouldn't hear the clunking.
I am going to look at a 2005 GL1800 with only 16k on it as soon as possible. Weather is going to suck here tomorrow but maybe Friday i can finally test drive an 1800. Not sure what problems the 05's had. I know the air filter is worse to get to. I will have to do some more reading unless someone can enlighten me on some of the major ones. Darkside might be coming if tires don't last as long as my 1500.

·
Gregarious Greeter
16,809 Posts
imported post

The 2005 1800 wing is the 30th anniversary addition.

Bought mine new and have 50,000+ miles.

Never have had one problem with it. Still runs like new.

Do run a car tire and likey.

Have pulled a trailer for close to half of that mileage and no problems.

If you ride the 1800, it will follow you home:D

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks good to know.
I am not sure what models there were in 05 and what was on each one. I sure didn't like Interstate models in the earlier GOLDWING years with only half the stuff on them. Do all 1800's have reverse?
I read some threads that early 1800's had tranny problems and then one thead said NO it was 2009 or so. That is scary.
My wife loves RED and the 05 is RED.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

Indianawantsme wrote:
...if i would have had #14 I would have replaced that too. Does anyone know if that rod wears much?
> Probably not at your 100k... Mine, at 140k, had a visable step in the surface.

·
Premium Member
517 Posts
imported post

"Niehaus cycle said not to use 20w50 when i mentionedusing it." Why?

I use 20w50 in the summer, no problems. When it turns cold just let the bike warm up a little longer. When I do the next change I may try the Mobile 1 Truck Turbo diesel 5W40
That DaveW uses. Then go back to 20W50 for spring/summer.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Niehaus Cycle said 20w50 would gum up the lifters and that makes no sense at all.

My 88 is doing what i thought it was. I kept thinking about the way it contradicts itself. I have to let the clutch lever out more now to start engaging more than i ever did after taking all the slop out of everything and it should release and DOES release the clutch fully at a standstill. It just seemed like it didn't when i was moving.
With it on the centerstand i put it in gear and let out the clutch and then pulled it back in--- the wheel kept turning and i couldn't stop it with my foot against the tire with the clutch lever pulled IN. I could with the brake for sure. I tried it a few times and sometimes i could stop it with my foot. Once it is stopped then it won't turn again until i let out the clutch again. It is just when the clutch is fully engaged and the wheel turning, then pull it back in something is sticking just enough to make the clutch plates stay engaged just a little and maybe make the shifts clunky.
NO creep at all with it in gear and the clutch lever pulled in after i get the wheel to stop turning and then let go of the brake or my foot.
Sticky slave somehow? even though it fully releases the clutch at a standstill and wheel stopped.
I had made a note to get a new #14 rod next time i worked on the slave. Mine had a groove worn from the seal and i didn't think that would hurt anything except not seal maybe. I was more worried about the length wearing more than anything. Should be enough spring rebound to overcome that little groove. I think someone else was right that maybe the slave piston might have enough gunk in it again to make it sluggish even though i rebuilt it 4yrs ago and cleaned all that out.
Anybody got any other ideas?
Darn,,,now i hate to test drive that 1800 tomorrow IF mine can be fixed pretty easy. Too late to tear into my slave cyl. tonight and see what might be going on in there. I can't remember if i took the alternator out to get to the slave better.

·
Premium Member
344 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 that looks like the sister of yours. I'm wanting an 1800 real bad now as well but not wanting to part with my Champagne Martini girl!

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.