Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

hi andhappy new year to all.help needed to bleed new fluid in the clutch system on my 1989 1500gl. is the correct way to get a jar put in some dot 4 connect a peice of tube to the bleed nipple place tube into the jar open bleed nipple and work clutch lever untill new fluid comes through topping up the resevoir as i work the lever. i have been told doing this way stops air entering the system and you dont have to keep opening and closing the bleed nipple. thanks for any help or pictures on this subject.:?thank you once again for all the info you have supplied in the past and hopfuly in the future dave(uk)

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
imported post

That will work ok.

Best way is to use a Vacuum Pump ("Mighty Vac") to suction fluid out the system, as you add fresh fluid to the resevoir.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I've found installing a set of 4 speed bleeders makes bleeding the clutch and brakes a very simple affair for 1 person to do, quickly

1st thing to do is to wrap some old rags around the clutch Master Cylinder, to protect it from the DOT 4 brake fluid. (eats plastic!)

After you have installed the speed bleeder(s), remove the top of the Master Cylinder and use an old turkey baster to remove the old fluid. Then clean all the gunk out of the MC, using a clean rag , q-tips and a flat blade screw driver to 'scrape' the crud off the walls etc.

When you have the MC completely clean, install some brake fluid, then crack openthe speed bleeder 1/2 turn (with a clear vinyl hose attached to it and draining into a small jar/container) and squeeze the clutch lever.

Be careful you don't let the brake fluid in the MC get too low, or you'll get air into the system! Keep repeating until the fluid exiting the speed bleeder runs clear, with no bubbles. Once it does, close off the speed bleeder, top up the MC with brake fluid and reinstall the boot and cap etc and tighten the screws on the MC.

That's it.

Dusty

·
Premium Member
151 Posts
imported post

Didn't someone here utilize a pump spray bottle to vacuum bleed the clutch and brakes? That was a nifty idea.

·
Premium Member
1,792 Posts
imported post

I'm with Dusty on the speed bleeders - installed them years ago and never looked back - they are great!!

Les

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

Is it really necessary to remove all the old fluid first? Maybe it's not as good, but I just pump all the old through and keep adding new 'til things look spiffy. That way no air gets in.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

If there is moisture in the old it will cause the chemical reaction to make an acid and eat the rubber in your master cylinders and lines. You tell me? You want to rest not having brakes when you need them? Go ahead and save a few minutes.

·
Administrator
26,569 Posts
imported post

tlbranth wrote:
Is it really necessary to remove all the old fluid first? Maybe it's not as good, but I just pump all the old through and keep adding new 'til things look spiffy. That way no air gets in.
Just take what you can out of the reservoir and then bleed until it is clean. The tube in a jar method is what I use and it works like a charm. Been doing it that way for 40 years with 100% success so I ain't gonna change now.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

hi dave0430.thanks for your input. im going togive this method a go but am a bit worried about the air issue. im on my ownout here not in a club because of work commitments so dont have any buddies that can give advise. i need this to go right or could end up with a big bill from (ripoff) i mean workshop,thanks for your confidence in this fix ill try my best shot at it and if it goes (t--s) upill come back on here for more help from a great set of people. thanks to all the forum members for their input.( cant find speed bleeders foresale in thein the (uk)

·
Premium Member
46 Posts
imported post

I have always had good luck in just opening the bleeders and letting it gravity bleed through the system. Just keep adding fluid to the resevoir and make sure you have some rags to catch the fluid as it comes out of the bleeder. Keep filling the resevoir until you see clean fluid out of the bleeder. No problems with air getting into the system and nothing to buy. It will gravity bleed without a problem.

·
Premium Member
22 Posts
imported post

I recommend the mighty vac makes bleeding super easy and fast.

·
Premium Member
104 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

thanks 04meanstreaker,but this the uk we dont do super vac we dont do speed bleeders we dont do seafoam we dont do moly oil need i go on this is the uk still trying to fix things the old fashioned way brute force and ignorance so head down and hope it comes out right. o and by the way we dont do walmart and such .but we do motorcycle repair shops that sell top brand products at top brand prices if you get my drift. thanks dave Uk.

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Turkey Baster with clear line to the bleeder. Open bleeder and draw the syringe out @ 3/4 way, close bleeder. Repeat.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
imported post

SPEED BLEEDERS!!!! Dusty et al are absolutely right. Install them on ALL 4 bleed screws, then change the fluid in the 3 MC's at least every 2 years. Takes minutes for each unit once the speed bleeders are installed.

·
Just another ORF!
8,189 Posts
imported post

I just checked it out at SpeedBleeder.com and they wanted $28 for the 4 speed bleeders and only $5.95 for shipping up here to Canada. (great rate!)

They ship International, so check it out ... you may just be surprised!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.