Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

(DOCS Quote)
Got a problem , when I shift from first to second it doesn't always go into 2nd ,I hit neutral rev then into 2nd ?? Is this a clutch problem with 1999 gl 1500's...and yes I have preloaded the shift lever but still doesn't always go directly into 2nd. and it happens alot when I really get on the throttle.
it's beginning to "P" me off. :gunhead:
( RUDY'S QUOTE:: Some guys take out a few ounces of oil and replace that with Seafoam for about the last 200 miles before the oil change. Those miles should be gentle ones to avoid excessive wear on the bearings while the oil is thinned, I have heard of great results doing this but I have not done it myself.
Also make sure your clutch fluids are clean and up as well as look at wear on your clutch lever brass parts including the brass push rod to the master cylinder. If those are worn you can have some weak clutch releases.

DELO 400LE is the right oil as far as I'm concerned as are many many GL1500 owners.)

HAS ANYONE DONE THIS WITH THE SEAFOAM ?????????:? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

I have used SEAFOAM in the fuel, but not in the crankcase.
I have had really good results from the use of SEAFOAM, and would think using it in the crankcase (according to the directions on the can) it would cause good results.
If I were experiencing the problems you are having, I would not hesitate to try the SEAFOAM...just follow the directions and do not dilute the oil too much!

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Anyone else Beuller, Beuller ???? suggestions, suggestions ?? :? :cool: :stumped:

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I used Sea Foam in the crankcase of my 1100 . I was having problems with the starter clutch sprags sticking in cooler weather . I did one treatment with sea foam 100 miles prior to an oil change cleared up that problem . I havent used it in my 1500 .

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Bike...and Dennis wrote:
I have a question for you Doc. Have you got the stock peg and shifter on the bike?
IF you mean the shift lever....I quess so...WHY ?????

·
Premium Member
29 Posts
imported post

I'm new to Wings, but I had this problem years back on three different Suzuki 650's. On one it was a badly worn gear and two others was a bent shift fork. I found I was a little light on my second gear shifts and was a little "sporty" on my take off's.

Not saying this is what your problem is by any means. Just reminded me of the old days. It was very annoying to say the least. Hopefully that is not your issue. It sucks. :)

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

bubba_76 wrote:
I'm new to Wings, but I had this problem years back on three different Suzuki 650's. On one it was a badly worn gear and two others was a bent shift fork. I found I was a little light on my second gear shifts and was a little "sporty" on my take off's.

Not saying this is what your problem is by any means. Just reminded me of the old days. It was very annoying to say the least. Hopefully that is not your issue. It sucks. :)
Yes ,I ama little sporty on takeoffs...could be it !!! I hope not.. but this week going to try the seafoam in the oil go for a short ride then change oil. we'll see what happens.

anyone have a suggestion as to just how far I should ride with seafoam in the oil????

5-10-20-50 miles ??? riding easy of course..

also back when I got the wing , the shift lever seemed to be a little low (for my big foot )...so I removed it and piched it up 2-3 notches....maybe the angle of the lever has something to do with it.

HOW ABOUT THE EXPERTS ?? :cool:?? PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS....

ANYBODY, BUELLER, BUELLER ???? :stumped:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

Shift it like you've you got a pair!

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

jdvorchak wrote:
Shift it like you've you got a pair!
I DO, BUT SOMETIMES WON'T GO INTO 2ND...:gunhead:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

100-150 miles for the seafoam. You want it to clean everything up before you change the oil.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

RayJay1959 wrote:
100-150 miles for the seafoam. You want it to clean everything up before you change the oil.
THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!! ANYONE ELSE ???????? :?

·
Administrator
26,562 Posts
imported post

If you moved the lever up be sure it is not hitting something on the up shift. 1st to 2nd takes a little more throw than the other gears.

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

DaveO430 wrote:
If you moved the lever up be sure it is not hitting something on the up shift. 1st to 2nd takes a little more throw than the other gears.
NO, I don't think it's hitting ...but maybe I'll putthe leverback where it was before and give that a try .Thanks

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

I agree with moving the shift lever back down at least one spline . As mentioned the 1-2 shift you have move the farthest . Icant remember what , but I went thru this and it does seem to hit . It would only be on the 1-2 shift.

·
Administrator
1987 GL1200 Interstate
22,757 Posts
imported post

Just having the lever high will cause that last bit of travel not to work because the force is still going up and it needs to be going backwards, away from the peg.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
12,790 Posts
imported post

DOC1500 wrote:
also back when I got the wing , the shift lever seemed to be a little low (for my big foot )...so I removed it and piched it up 2-3 notches....maybe the angle of the lever has something to do with it.

HOW ABOUT THE EXPERTS ?? :cool:?? PLEASE SHARE YOUR IDEAS....

ANYBODY, BUELLER, BUELLER ???? :stumped:
I am not sure what your question is now . When I said move the lever down one spline that would be what you refer to as notches .

When I refer to the 1-2 shift moving the farthest , thats because you have to travel from first into/thru neutral then on into second . every other gearvchange only has to move one motion .

As for what it hits , i'll have to wait for daylight to have a gander at it .

·
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
imported post

I'm sorry MIKE , I was just asking if any other experts had an opinion. nothing implied. I understood what you said. :thumbsup:I just always look for as many ideas as I can getbefore taking action.THANKS FOR YOUR HELP..

DOC

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.