Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My sonrecentlyacquired an 89 GL1500 with 100k miles on it and I am trying to help him get it road worthy. One of the concerns I have is there is a clattering noise when the bike runs and it goes away when the clutch lever is pulled in. The Honda dealer won't work on bikes older than 10 years and directed me to another shop. After days of trying to figure it out, the mechanic says it is the clutch bearing. Replacing it will run $600-1600, depending if the engine has to be pulled or not. What are the risks if we just live with the noise? I am as non-mechanical as anyone can get but my BS meter is pegging. If anyone has experience with this problem, I would appreciate your advice...

·
Premium Member
796 Posts
imported post

That question gets posted a lot, in fact last time only yesterday. It seems that some rumble is normal in the 1500 until you pull the clutch. Do a search and you will find the posts I mentioned.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Thanks, found several interesting threads and will try some basics before we let the shop do anything major. Delo 400 oil change, sync carbs, then maybe the alternator bushings/bearing fix. I think they hear zebras...

·
350 Posts
imported post

MontanaMac wrote:
Thanks, found several interesting threads and will try some basics before we let the shop do anything major. Delo 400 oil change, sync carbs, then maybe the alternator bushings/bearing fix. I think they hear zebras...
Try seafoam before oil change.

Some guys take out a few ounces of oil and replace that with Seafoam for about the last 100-200 miles before the oil change. Those miles should be gentle ones to avoid excessive wear on the bearings while the oil is thinned, I have heard of great results doing this but I have not done it myself.

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

Not a commercial, just an endorsement...AMSOIL! At you next oil change, while you are at it do the final drive also.

Norm

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I spoke with the shop and they only offer Drag Specialties 20/50 or Ams Oil 20/50. This is a generalist cycle shop, not a Honda dealer let along a Wing shop. The local dealer won't work on it because it is more than 10 years old and recommended this shop.

From the comments I have read on other threads, the most recommended oil is Chevron Delo 400. First question is if either of the two oils they carry are likely to be the same as the Delo 400? If not, technical dummy that I am, would I want to get Delo 400 in a 20/50 grade and deliver it to them? The will accept what ever oil I provide, but not warranty it. I guess that is reasonable. Any suggestions?

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I noticed the same noise on my 88 1500. I've read a lot of post here and it's normal for this wing.

As for the oil usage ..it's what ever you prefer according to the owners manual.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Changed oil to Delo 400 and it got a lot quieter. Even the shop guy was surprised and the improvement was definitely noticeable. Still, it's an older bike and with 96k on it will have some rattles. Changed the timing belts for good measure as I don't know if the prior owner ever did. Put 100 miles on it today without any problems. Thanks guys!

·
Premium Member
1,039 Posts
imported post

Relax Mac , sounds like you know your way around .
The 1500 has a " sound " in neutral that goes away with clutch engaging . This low rumble sound is normal as long as its not really loud and expensive sounding.
The 1500 trans. is bullit proof if no heal/toe shifter has been used as this shifter can bend the shifter forks and cause major trouble.
Word of advise Dad , be sure your son realizes just how big and heavy the 1500 is ! Its the biggest and heaviest one on the road and is to be respected as such or bad things will happen.!

·
Premium Member
143 Posts
imported post

circlepilot like your advatar being a ex f-4 crewchief
i think you just dont see enough of them anymore

·
Master Sgt. USAF Retired.
243 Posts
imported post

Hi John, the one in the picture is flown on a regular basis at airshows, by the Heritage Flight Conference. My time with "the last of the real steam locomotives," was at Udorn AFB, 69-71, 74-75, Clark AFB 75-76 and Eglin AFB 33rd TAC 78-80, retired on B-52s, "go figure!"

BTW: My dad was a P-38 (the other plane) Crew Chief...WWII, I've got a tribute to him on the gas tank of my VTX. Maybe I need a B-52 on my 1500SE? Not!

Norm

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
imported post

The noise may just be 'clutch rattle' which comes from the platesrattling around in the cage. It's common on the old SOHC bikes.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

Here are a couple of things to check. Syncronizing the carbs, and replacing the rubber spacers on the alternator to engine connection couplers. I would do a tune up with new plugs, fuel filter, and air filter before trying to syncronize the carburetors. These should help.
Tom Bishop

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
imported post

Thanks, the Alternator bushings are next. Carbs have been synced as have the filters replaced. New plugs too. It runs better than I would have expected for an 89 with 100k on it. Missing is gone. Delo 400 seems to have quieted the noise that is better described as a noisy primary chain, I guess a normal sound that is at an acceptable level now. I also plan to use Seafoam in the fuel, then in the oil 100 miles before the next change.

·
Premium Member
4,608 Posts
imported post

Just a friendly note: If that mechanic didn't know if the engine has to come out or not, I'd be leary of his lack of knowledge. Seems to me, any mechanic that knew what he was doing, would know the answer, merely from experience. Just my nickles worth. jimsjinx

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Maybe his comment that he would have to borrow the tools from another shop to pull the engine is what gave me the push to investigate further. That or a leprechaun. Either one works.

·
Premium Member
66 Posts
imported post

MontanaMac wrote:
Changed oil to Delo 400 and it got a lot quieter. Even the shop guy was surprised and the improvement was definitely noticeable. Still, it's an older bike and with 96k on it will have some rattles. Changed the timing belts for good measure as I don't know if the prior owner ever did. Put 100 miles on it today without any problems. Thanks guys!
Did you have the shop change the timing belts? Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering how much they charged. I'm having a hard time finding a shop around here to do it. Honda dealers won't touch a bike that is 22 years old, and the local general motorcycle repair shop said they don't have the right equipment to do it since you have to drop the motor. I've read the procedure on here and don't see any mention of dropping the motor, so I wouldn't trust them to do it now anyway. I may end up doing the job myself, as the instructions posted on this website are excellent, and I don't see anything there that I couldn't handle. However, if the cost is reasonable to have a shop do it, I may extend my search outside my local area.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

Forget this one, I had the belts changed but the labor was grouped in with the "Evaluation" charge of $200 up front to figure out what the bike needed.

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Update: Found a great shop in Kingsland GA, very professional and honest to boot. Found a couple of vacuum leaks, totally gone rear bearings, shot rear rotor and brakes, and cupped tires causing noise. Didn't charge for the vacuum leaks and other minor stuff, totally reasonable on tires, bike now feels as good as any 89 should at less than the first shop charged and missed the major problems. All of the missing went away with the cross over vacuum leak repair.

Out on a ride today, a nice 1800 pulled up next to me and when I commented about his bike being nice, he said it's old but reliable. I pointed t mine and said old and hopefully reliable. He asked what miles and when I said 97,000, he said 174,000 and to ride with confidence.

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

deno55 wrote:
snip.... Did you have the shop change the timing belts? Reason I'm asking is I'm wondering how much they charged. I'm having a hard time finding a shop around here to do it. Honda dealers won't touch a bike that is 22 years old, and the local general motorcycle repair shop said they don't have the right equipment to do it since you have to drop the motor. I've read the procedure on here and don't see any mention of dropping the motor, so I wouldn't trust them to do it now anyway. I may end up doing the job myself, as the instructions posted on this website are excellent, and I don't see anything there that I couldn't handle. However, if the cost is reasonable to have a shop do it, I may extend my search outside my local area.
Hi deno55, changing the cam belts is not a hard job on the 1500. Just takes some time and paying careful attention to what you are doing because a mistake can be very costly. I did the job last summer on mine and it was pretty easy to do by following the instructions on this site. I didn't time myself but would estimate it took maybe 4-5 hours and not rushing.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.