Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lately it's been pretty cold in the morning. My bike('93) has always started immediately. After sitting at work for 12 hours, it just cranks and seems to flood when choked. I ran the battery down. Fortunately, it started with a jump box. I'm in the process of getting at the air filters for a change. Would changing the the plugs to one range "hotter" help the cold start issue? I intend to ride all winter as long as the roads are good. It does cold start fine after sitting in the garage all night, though. Looking for ideas/ solutions.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Stay with stock plugs. NGK only. No need for different range or fancy worded ads. Just be sure the battery is up to snuff or replace it. Your starter may need to be cleaned out. They get dirty inside from the brushes wearing and the dust causes lack of connectivity and heat that robs the volts. These bikes need full juice to fire.

If you are running oil other than delo400 change it over.
Remember any motor sitting out in the wind for 12 hrs will thicken the oil quick so will need everything correct if you want to start.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
Lately it's been pretty cold in the morning. My bike('93) has always started immediately. After sitting at work for 12 hours, it just cranks and seems to flood when choked. I ran the battery down. Fortunately, it started with a jump box. I'm in the process of getting at the air filters for a change. Would changing the the plugs to one range "hotter" help the cold start issue? I intend to ride all winter as long as the roads are good. It does cold start fine after sitting in the garage all night, though. Looking for ideas/ solutions.
Try using less choke (eg Lean the mixture), perhaps 3/4" open... to see if it then starts. If not, then it may be Too Lean already (eg Opposite of what you've diagnosed)... in which case, try going Full-Choke again, but first Open & Close the Throttle One Time prior to cranking... that will make the mixture more Rich.

For very cold weather (<20F) I always have to do the Open/Close throttle operation in order to get a quick start, despite it otherwise working ok at warmer temps.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
I too have a 93SE. After sitting for a while it is cold blooded but not while at work. When it did it was the battery. I replaced it and never had a concern with it. I've had several Honda inline fours from the 550's to a pair of 900 Customs. Each and every one was cold blooded and each had its own little idiosyncrasies’. The only exception was my 02 VTX which is fuel injected. Can't get that wrong.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
I have also had the same problems with my 1500s, both of them.

The most reliable method for me has been to set the Enrichment at Full down (max) and then twist the throttle wide open Once Only.

Then press the starter button. If the engine is just cold, and the battery is in good condition, it will nearly always start the first time I push the start button.

I've had the times though, when it took 2 or more attempts. But, back in those days, I was NOT using a standard starting method. Now I do and it seems to be more reliable in starting the first try.

If the bike is not started every few days, I keep a Battery Tender on it.

·
Banned
1,176 Posts
Yeah John, my bike is exactly the same way. He didn't mention turning the throttle and I was just wondering why it would have flooded had he not pumped it. Because like ours, they seem to need that one shot or it's starved.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,854 Posts
yeah, every time i forget to twist that throttle "just once", I get a "hard start" condition and have a few times worried the battery was going to run down before it started.

Now I don't have the fear, it starts "First Time" every time....... that's my story and I will stick to it. :badgrin:

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Using a hotter plug will more than likely result in pinging next summer. Unless you are driving around town at 20 M.P.H. all day a colder plug is what you want. If you ride that way, why do you have a Gold Wing? I have found the Champion RA4HC works great for me. Been using them 10 years now, with NO problems. Any auto parts store has, or can get them. Standard spark plug wrench, and gapped at .032. Kind of like the Dark Sider of spark plugs.
gumbyred

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
Battery voltage.

It seems to be more common with the 1500's but even my 1200 does it when it's below freezing.

Simple put, a cold battery cranking a cold engine equals not enough voltage left over to run the ignition.

Some have had luck just cranking for a second and have the ignition fire as the start button is released.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Okay, just tried a little test tonight. Bike hasn`t been started in 2 days, its 26 degrees in an unheated garage, plugs have around 22K on them. Bike fired right up in about 2 seconds.
Its Champion RA4HC for me.
gumbyred

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Okay, just tried a little test tonight. Bike hasn`t been started in 2 days, its 26 degrees in an unheated garage, plugs have around 22K on them. Bike fired right up in about 2 seconds.
Its Champion RA4HC for me.
gumbyred

He said no problem starting in the garage, it's when it's outside for 12 hrs in the wind and cold. That sucks the life down on cold cranking amps.

·
Premium Member
373 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think it was getting flooded at full choke because I could smell it, and when it started it was loaded up for a bit. I didn't think it was the battery because it is relatively new. When I pulled it out to check it, one cell was dry. Filled it and I charged it up and seems to be fine, but the temps have warmed up to the low 40s. New air filter and plugs just because, and hopefully I'll be fine here on out. BTW I had switched the oil from synthetic to Delo and haven't noticed any difference in shifting, so it will be back to synthetic in a little while. I'm packing my jump box for a while, just to be sure! Thanks to all of you for the responses.

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
I didn't think it was the battery because it is relatively new. When I pulled it out to check it, one cell was dry. Filled it and I charged it up and seems to be fine, but the temps have warmed up to the low 40s.
First you say that you don't think it was the battery then you say that one cell was dry.:?

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
dry cell= junk battery time for new one, Also need to find hy relitivly ne battery would have dry cell?
Wilf
Agreed.
All cells down is a neglected or over charged battery and maybe recoverable for a short while.
One cell dry however equals a FUBARed battery.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Replace it with an AGM battery.

·
Premium Member
1,381 Posts
Also. When I had first bought the bike,at times it would crank and crank and kill the battery. If it started at the first spin it was alright. I replaced the battery, even though it checked out good and I've not had a problem with it starting, and I have yet to have killed the battery now. Quite a few on here stated the same thing back then. Two pennies.

·
Premium Member
675 Posts
Some have had luck just cranking for a second and have the ignition fire as the start button is released.[/QUOTE]

Exactly my experience this week. Not enough juice to start until as I let go of the starter button!

T.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.