Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Happy Thanksgiving All!

Well, its been 4 weeks to the day that I broke my ankle. Two more weeks and the cast comes off. I still want to get back on the road before the season definitely ends.

The 1500 is still new to me so not sure what the cold weather brings. Our lows to date have been high 20s to low 30s. Every 5-7 days I go out and start the bike. When cold, it has been very tough to start. I've experimented with full choke to no choke and all in between. Gas still has some Seafoam in it. Battery Tender Jr. connected constantly so battery is not an issue.

Is tough cold starting the norm for this bike? Any hints or suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

psu

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

Last winter i tried several different methods when temps below 32 to start the bike....If it was sitting for more than a wk, i found that twisting the throttle once bout half way, then back to off, put choke on half or little more and hit switch in 3 sec intervals....usually fires up within first couple tries, then adjust choke up a little ..Hope this helps...

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
imported post

I would always start with full choke and NO THROTTLE on a new bike. Then try full choke and only about 1/4 throttle if first doesn't work.

·
1,717 Posts
imported post

Full choke , no gas - if that dosnt work your battery may be weak (a weak battery can spin the engine wel , but there is not enough power to produce sparks on the plugs ).

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

SMEDEN(=the blacksmith) wrote:
Full choke , no gas - if that dosnt work your battery may be weak (a weak battery can spin the engine wel , but there is not enough power to produce sparks on the plugs ).
^^^ This fellow has it right.

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

no problems except one morning it was 23 degrees out and it took a little longer to get started but not very much..just choke only. Now my 82 1100 i would put a lamp under the bike with the battery tender an it would start even at 14 degrees:action:

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

Do they sell block heaters for Wings ?

·
Premium Member
1,514 Posts
imported post

I really dont know for bikes. I know they make them to go inline on heater hoses on autos and they also make heated dipsticks for cars maybe can be modified. Really something to think about though:baffled:

·
Monkey with a Football
19,237 Posts
imported post

You could always mount an electric hot pad under the engine sandwiched between it and the top of a belly pan for winter use.
Most all of the GL engines are nice and flat under there.
Just go plug it in an hour before departure and you should see a great difference.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
imported post

If you have old spark plugs, or have no idea how many miles your plugs have on them, I would change them before it gets cold. New plugs make the 1500 SO much easier to start in the spring, or the occasional day when the weather cooperates.
Gumbyred

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

A lot of great ideas here. Thanks again for all of the input.

psu

·
Premium Member
3,318 Posts
imported post

If mine has been sitting for a week or more this is the way it goes:

Choke about 3/4 closed, give the throttle a couple of twists to throw some gas down the carbs, then no throttle. Be sure the kill switch is in "Run" and hit the start button. Usually fires right up... then adjust the choke as needed to keep the rpms about 1500-2000 while she warms up.

·
Premium Member
763 Posts
imported post

Just my method - not so cold in the UK (yet ?). Short bursts on the starter button. Don't keep it turning over contiuously as mine starts when I RELEASE the starter button. Makes sense as all power then goes to the plugs, etc and not the starter. IMHO

No throttle, just full choke.

Let us know when you have found your right method.

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

The twisting the throutle a few times sounds like the ticket.That will put some raw fuel in the intake and give it what it wants. A cold engine wants a rich fuel mixture.

·
mr irrelevant
2,205 Posts
imported post

I could of sworn i mentioned twisting the throttle earlier...LOL...it definately helps...

·
Premium Member
250 Posts
imported post

I know you posted about it earlier. I just didn't say that you hit the nail on the head. LOL:bow:It's all good! :sleepy:

·
Premium Member
1,424 Posts
imported post

batt on its way out

·
Premium Member
3,073 Posts
imported post

How about one of those 300 W magnetic heaters. I should stick to the oil drain plug and the heat would go up into the crankcase.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.