1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings,
I got a used 1997 GL1500S.E. a couple of months ago and am upgrading
a few things.
I got my Compu Fire alt today,and have been struggling for several hours.
The problem I am having is the rotation to get it in.
The back of Alt is hitting the cross bar and won't let it rotate in to place.
I have tried every angle availible and it won't fit.
I am very dissapointed in this product and would return it in a Heart Beat
if that was an option.
Any help is most welcome.
Thanks Mike.

·
Pwhoever
3,338 Posts
IIRC, I angled the rear of the compufire in first. Then after the was in far enough, I was able to get the front part in. It does take a bit of maneuvering to get them in but it will go in. Don't give up on it. It is probably the best upgrade you will do to the bike.

Here are a couple threads with more info: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/363941-help-compufire-install.html
and http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...um/332704-compu-fire-installation-gl1500.html

Both of them recommend removing the passenger floorboard which I remember doing as well. Also instead of doubling up the dog bone fuses like Compufire recommends, conside using a PAL type fuse as it would be much safer. I went with a 70a one. You can find further info on THIS THREAD

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply,I had read the posts that you linked to,befor I
ordered the Alt.
It was not a hasty decision,I can't afford to do an upgrade with out a lot of thought.
I had my brother look at it,kind of another pair of eyes,and he had no better luck than I did.
I would swear[and did] that the space is to small.
I have two other bikes,2005 klr 650,1982 Gl1100.
So I have some history with tinkering,but this is making me crazy.
I will have another go tommorow,but I can't seem to think it will be
any different.
Mike.

IIRC, I angled the rear of the compufire in first. Then after the was in far enough, I was able to get the front part in. It does take a bit of maneuvering to get them in but it will go in. Don't give up on it. It is probably the best upgrade you will do to the bike.

Here are a couple threads with more info: http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/2-goldwing-technical-forum/363941-help-compufire-install.html
and http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums...um/332704-compu-fire-installation-gl1500.html

Both of them recommend removing the passenger floorboard which I remember doing as well. Also instead of doubling up the dog bone fuses like Compufire recommends, conside using a PAL type fuse as it would be much safer. I went with a 70a one. You can find further info on THIS THREAD

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
It is an awkward squeeze but will fit. Well worth the upgrade too, once you have it fitted you won't regret it.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
It was about a year ago when I put my Compufire in, but I think I saw a a post that said to slide it in nose first. First link above, by 25blt. Went in super easy that way, nose first.

Just chill out a bit, you have to read up on the installation from others that have done it, and learn from their own trial and errors.

·
Registered
2,795 Posts
The Compufire Does fit... so don't give up just yet.

I had installed/removed the stock alternator probably a dozen times with no problems before hand, yet still found it a challenge to get that Compufire in there until somehow figured out the proper angles involved moving it into place. I do recall Not having to remove anything (eg floor boards) special, to make it work.

I think the trick (regardless of the type of alternator) is to verify Alignment of the front vanes on the alternator, with the rubber dampeners inside the engine... If those are mis-aligned, then can't bring the two together. Also, if those dampeners are New, then they are easier to install, than when old... The Old ones seem to Fall out of position.

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
Just chill out a bit, you have to read up on the installation from others that have done it, and learn from their own trial and errors.
ewjww and I put in a Compufire in the parking lot of the Motel 62 last year at Nassir. I have had mine and others in and out several times. It takes me about 15 minutes, so it can be done.

In addition to above, I would suggest three things:

1. YES! Chill out! I find that things like this go smoother if I approach the runway at an acute angle.
  2. I find that investing a few few bucks in replacing the dampeners to be a wise choice. Especially in light of the age (not mileage) of your machine. see HERE!
  3. I always like to attach that primary wire to the rear of the in going alt. first. Do not tighten the bolt. Just attach the eyelet and loosely fit the nut. This makes getting the wire attached later much, much easier.

May the Farce be with you!

T

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Yes first time can be a bear, but it will go, never give up!
Did you get the bolt holes in the correct position according to the direction sheet and the flange position correct.
Did you get it in? Be sure and post a reply back.

·
Premium Member
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks,to all who have tried to help me with this.
I put the old Alt back in after several hours of struggling with it.
No joy on the install,I should add that the bike had been in a slow speed
crash befor I got it.
Maybe something is twisted and won't allow this unit to fit?
I talked to Ken Heming and will do some trading with him.
I know lots of you will think I gave up to easy,but there is no way
that Alt was going in that space................
Also a "big thanks" to all the people who have posted so much info on here.
I did lots of reading befoe buying my GL1500,and the info here was most helpfull with my decision to get this Bike.........
Mike.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
I tried back end first too for a while, and I thought it would never fit, until I tried nose first, went right in.

But it's a shame you gave up already to try different approaches.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks,to all who have tried to help me with this.
I put the old Alt back in after several hours of struggling with it.
No joy on the install,I should add that the bike had been in a slow speed
crash befor I got it.
Maybe something is twisted and won't allow this unit to fit?
I talked to Ken Heming and will do some trading with him.
I know lots of you will think I gave up to easy,but there is no way
that Alt was going in that space................
Also a "big thanks" to all the people who have posted so much info on here.
I did lots of reading befoe buying my GL1500,and the info here was most helpfull with my decision to get this Bike.........
Mike.
I have a 1997 GL1500 and I found the main key to making it fit was to make sure the blades are at 6 O'Clock. and set the rear of the Compufire in first.

I did find on the 1997 that I could not use the hose Bracket that was there on the old Alt. as the Compufire was just too wide for that bracket..

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.