Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning to all,
I like to thank the everyone who have assisted me in getting this alternator problem resolved.

with regret, the cost is to high to fix it...
I have found on ebay 85amp alternators, but I have a 1988 model gl1500, and there page states 1990 model. So my question is, is there any difference in the alternator mounts to the engine, and the electrical feed.

Any information will help and is very my appreciated.

keep riding safe
regards
Winger:jumper:

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Good morning to all,
I like to thank the everyone who have assisted me in getting this alternator problem resolved.

with regret, the cost is to high to fix it...
I have found on ebay 85amp alternators, but I have a 1988 model gl1500, and there page states 1990 model. So my question is, is there any difference in the alternator mounts to the engine, and the electrical feed.

Any information will help and is very my appreciated.

keep riding safe
regards
Winger:jumper:
Do Not waste your money on the Chinese Fleebay alternators, some here have had them go out in less than a year, others later.

The difference in the 88-89 is you have shouldered bolts to mount the alternator, #17 in fiche
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1988&fveh=132572

The newer ones use straight bolts and 2 locating dowels, #23 in fiche
http://www.westernhonda.com/fiche_s...=Motorcycles&make=Honda&year=1999&fveh=132039

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
I concur. I would buy a rebuilt one from Ken Hemming before I bought a Ebay alternator. Why not take yours to a local shop and talk to them. I just had one rebuilt here for about $90 as a spare.

·
Premium Member
551 Posts
I know this is an old thread but I can't find the bolt size. Anyone know the bolt size needed to mount a CompuFire on a 1988 GL1500? I don't want to drill out bigger holes for the 88 bolts. The OEM fische #18 on later models don't list the size and I want to pick up the bolts locally at the hardware store.

·
It aint rocket science
3,967 Posts
On the later years 2 locating dowels are used to center alternator, early years used the shouldered bolts.

If you replace the bolts with non shouldered, centering of alternator will be impossible, drill out mounting holes of alternator and reuse bolts.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.