Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I brought my 98 a couple of months agoand have started doing some maintenance to make sure all is ok. I've got the lower fairing off and have changed the cam belts, oil filter, oil and plugs. Whilethe lower plastic isoff I wondered if there's an easy way to get to the radiator cap to do a coolant change?

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

The radiator cap is just under the right fairing pocket, I guess it couldn't be much easier than that.
There is a coolant drain bolt under the water pump, you just need to remove the lower front plastic cowl.

·
Happy Goldwinger
778 Posts
imported post

The radiator cap is just under the right fairing pocket, I guess it couldn't be much easier than that.
There is a coolant drain bolt under the water pump, you just need to remove the lower front plastic cowl.

·
Premium Member
710 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Thanks Earl. That is easy, I must have missed the location in the book.

·
Pwhoever
3,182 Posts
imported post

The radiator cap is actually easier to get at. It is not under the right pocket but under the right side of the handlebars. Pop off the ignition cover and then take off that extra long plastic pieceon the right side of the radio shelter that attaches at the dash and you will find the radiator cap. Now take off the same piece on the left and you will find the cap for the overflow botle.

·
Anti-Guru
2,711 Posts
imported post

yep -- as far as "tricks" or "shortcuts" about the only odd hing I do is to evacuate the reservoir tank and refill that with clear distilled water before doing anything. Then, after removing the drain bolt from the waterpump, you "should" see the level in the reservoir dropping as it's sucked into the radiators... can go damned slow, so pulling the radiator cap and sealing a hand over teh radiatory opening will do the same.

Basically this'll suck clean water frmo the reservoir through the overflow tube and into the radiator -- If you don't get this motion, it's a good indicator that there's a leak (or more) in the tube/elbow/pick-up hose in the reservoir. A leak in this area will draw air into the radiators as they cool lowering your coolant level (a common 1500 problem).

Silly, but an easy way to check that system before you work a few clear-water "flushes", close the drain, and refil the system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.