Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
98 1500 Aspencade 48,000 miles. Bike is dripping coolant in the front of the bike under the water pump, not a lot but an occasional drip. I assume the water pump is going out. I will check and see if maybe just a loose clamp. If the water pump is going out will it go quick or do I have some time before I have to replace it?
Thanks

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
Not familiar with the 1500, but there should be a small hole in the water pump. If it is leaking there, it indicates a leaking internal seal. DO NOT plug up the hole, it can result in coolant in the oil. As for time, it could run that way for years, or it could get a lot worse quick.

·
Oh - THAT guy...
3,275 Posts
Pump is always possible, but check the hoses first, as well as the overflow elbow where it enters the tank. It could easily be traveling down from way up there. Pull the plastic around your handlebars and take a peak, especially when the bike is warmed up.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If it's the pump, change it before the heat comes back to you. You may get away for a little while but you best keep a watch on water level and heat temps on the bike.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
If you have it parked for the winter it will wait and may be from lack of use, might go a away once you ride it some more.

·
Premium Member
456 Posts
Yes...it does seem to be common for slow coolant leaks to show up when starting in cold weather. Sometimes they go away with regular use or when the weather warms up. There's ALOT of places the 1500 can 'weep' coolant near the front. I wouldn't make any assumptions until you can find the source.

·
Premium Member
314 Posts
Mine has done this over the winter as well. I have not taken the time to dig deeply, but initial inspection revealed it to be coming from a hose with a spring clamp on it. Those type of clamps can allow this to happen. A simple screw clamp replacement will eliminate my problem. There was no coolant trail running down the front cover for me. It would be wise to drive it on a nice day and park it with a clean surface under it, and look for some drops to hit the floor, then start your detective work. Someone had mentioned in another thread earlier that this happens occassionally under cold storage conditions.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the replies. I will check what was mentioned. Cold again so may be a while.

·
Premium Member
593 Posts
Thanks for the replies. I will check what was mentioned. Cold again so may be a while.
Yep every 1200 I've had has done this in the winter but only in the extreme

cold and just a few drops underneath, when its over 15 or 20 outside never

leaks a drop. I don't remember if my 1500 did that or not but I would watch

it after you start riding for the season.

·
Premium Member
1,851 Posts
Mine has been leaking quite a bit this winter. Normal for a small amount of antifreeze to leak in cold weather, but mine leaks way to much now. I wadded up a paper towel and placed it above the water pump. Towel is still dry. I have checked hose clamps and they don`t seem to ne leaking. Lots of antifreeze around water pump area. I placed a small pan under front of engine where water pump is. Lots of antifreeze, and even engine oil collecting there. Looks like you have to pull the water pump to even see the weep hole on the 1500s. A metal flange covers the hole. Maybe to keep people from just plugging hole with some silicone sealant???? I have a new genuine Honda water pump here that is going on as soon as weather warms up.

gumbyred

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.