Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi all

I have just finished my first service on my GW and when I started her up all was well until I noticed some green cooolant colecting on the floor under the bike directly below the rads and only drips while the bike is running.

I've had a look and it's coming from behind the left hand rad as you sit on the bike.I have never noticed this before so I'm guessing during the service I clipped somethingalthough I am fairly wary about stripping things off . The last thing I did was the air filterand I waspretty careful the whole time .

Any ideas about the source of the leak ??

Eric

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
imported post

I had almost the same experience after I had a guy change my timing belts out.....didn't leak before, but started just after the belts for some odd reason. I searched for this nagging leak for a month and just couldn't locate it. It seemed to be coming from the bowels of the bike in the center some place. I finally got frustrated and brought it to the Honda Dealer and 1 month later and $600 they told me it was a water pump seeping and a hose near the thermostat leaking. They also changed out all the major water hoses in the front of the engine. The wings just have so much plastic in the way you can't see in the middle very well. They also changed the radiator cap! It was really illuding them too. They presurized the system with air and finally found it I believe.

I hope yours is more simple than mine. If you look at the radiator line schematics it's like spagetti in there and could be leaking from multiple spots!

Good luck and post what ya find.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

I'm having the same problem with mine. Just completed the timing belts and did a little exploratory surgery looking for vacuum leaks. I don't have antifreeze puddling on the floor, but get steam coming up by the right handle bar and out through the hot air exhaust venton the right side. I pulled the tupperware off again but could not see any signs of leaking. I can smell it, but can't see it. I've ordered a new radiator cap from Honda hoping this will solve my problem. I'll let you know this weekend if it cures it.

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well you can color me happy cos I think I found it !!

Figured I'd check around the air filter cos that's the last place I was working.I noticed a smal trail of fluid coming from a hose just below the centre ofthe handelbar stemand found the hose had come out .So re-attached the hosefirmly and I think it's sorted. Test drive tomorrow just in case.

Thanks for the input

Eric

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

You're colored happy but I'm still a shade of grey.:(

Is that the overflow linebelow thecap?

I just picked up my new cap from Honda and will try it tonight and look again for signs.

Thanks,

Rob (aka Leaky)

·
Premium Member
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I think the radiator cap is on the right so you might be on to something there .Here's a pic of my faulty hose, of course when I got her all back together and fired her up I found no leaks but i have blown a foglight bulb :gunhead:which I will get stuck into tomorow

Eric

Attachments

·
Premium Member
53 Posts
imported post

Hi all, 90% of water leaks normally come from the top hose going into the right hand rad, the moulded hose tee's off from the left rad under slight pulling, in other words, Honda didn't really make this hose long enough, main cause of these hoses coming off, is a intermittent fan, eg: the side in which the fan is playing up gets so hot and the hose does overheat and slip off, well worth checking your hoses.

Hope this helps.

·
Premium Member
465 Posts
imported post

Hi Mark,

I've pretty much narrowed the issue to the area your talking about. Wife had different plans for me this weekend other than me wrenching on the bike, so I did not get to dig into it. It looks like there is a clamp at the top ofthat tube that tightens it onto the housing for the cap that came loose. I had a flash back to when I was looking for vac leaks and remember twisting that for some odd reason.

Hopefully that is the problem.

Thanks for your input.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.