Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi

We had the carbs cleaned at a local Honda dealer last fall. They stored the bike till we picked it up this spring. Before I even got it home I noticed a coolant smell. A few days later I noticed coolant on the garage floor. I took the bike back to the dealer and told them it needed to be fixed as it did not leak coolant before they worked on the carbs.( I went through the bike a few years back and removed all the tape Honda forgot to remove in assembly andtightened all the hose clamps)The dealer had the bike a few more days and had to remove carbs to get at the leak. They claim it was not caused by them but because it sat all winter (at the dealer)it decided to start leaking. Carb cleaning $500.00. Repair coolant leak another $500.00. We did get them to settle for $250.00 on the last bill.

Through the whole summer I did have to add about a half quart of coolant. Now today I noticed it is starting to leak on the garage floor again. Itseems to only leak when the bike is cold and stops once it warms up)I removed some side plastic and I see coolant on the top of the engine. Im thinking its from the carb hoses they never corrected.

I am thinking I may try to remove the carbs and replace the hoses and clamps.I only have the Clymer repair manual. Im thinking it would be a good idea to get the Official Honda Shop Manual.

Any thoughts or ideas will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mike

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
imported post

I also had a small coolant leak but would leak hot or cold. I had the front plastic off for an oil change and noticed some coolant on the timing belt cover. It was coming from the 3/8 hose that connects to the radiator and a tee. I had to look real close because it was just a pin hole.

·
Registered
33 Posts
imported post

Since the leak appears to be on the top of the engine, I would check all the water pipes and O-rings. Once you are able to get to them, you might be able to tell exactly where the leak is.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

My cold leak on top of the engine was the thermostat seal and would stop when it got warm. The seal was very hard when I took it out.

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
imported post

I had a leak on mine that was hard to find and like stated above it turned out to be the thermostat cover. It sits on top of the engine and that is where the coolant was when it leaked. I changed the thermostat and replaced the gasket and the leak was fixed.

·
Senior Guru
3,873 Posts
imported post

In order to eliminate the hoses on the carbs just remove the right hand radiator fan and you can see and get to the hoses without removing the carbs if there all ok then you can move on to the other areas

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Also check the bottom of the reserve tank, look through the forks under the fairing, there are 2 locator pins on the bottom of the tank. I've seen one develope a leak from being out of place and worn a pin hole in it. Also ck the rubber gromet that the overflow tube elbow goes into the top of the tank for cracks, leaks.

·
Premium Member
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Thanks for the info.

According to the Clymer manual the radiator needs to be removed before the fan can be removed. Is that correct? If the radiator is removed will that give more access to the front area of carbs?

I try to do what I can for maintenance on the bike as the dealers here dont seem to give a crap about quality work.

Would you suggest I get the Helm shop manual. I think that may be much better than the Clymer.

Thanks again

Mike

P.S.

While Im down there I thought I would replacethevacuum hoses that are known to go bad due to the sharp bend and the heat. I had asked the dealer to replace them when he had the carbs off and again when they went back in to repair the leak. Both times they did not replace them. Beyond me why the didnt after I was assured they would.

·
Premium Member
742 Posts
imported post

Mike ,, i forgot this.
I could get the Right fan out without removing the right radiator but i just couldn't get enough push and pull on the LEFT fan without removing the left radiator. I think some years are easier than others.

·
Premium Member
192 Posts
imported post

If you take out the out side rad bolts . Then the fans will come out. Not easy mind you but they will.

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
imported post

Hi Mike, I did not see a resolution to your problem. there are also 2 hoses that go to the bottom of the carbs. It goes thru a tube (not sure but I think it cools the carbs or heats the coolant) These might not be connected all the way. Theyare are hoard to get to if you have to take the carbs off the bike and especially hard to put back on.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.