Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

i bought a 99se in oct 08. didnt do any maintenance untill feb 09....did a oil change and added coolant to the overflow bucket.....rode from kingsland ga to daytona for bike week.....got there with no issues...cranked up the bike the next morning and water started coming out......after that it didnt leak anymore...... next was in aug this year..did maintenance before going to ride the dragon.....left on monday ,400 miles no leaks,tuseday it leaked after making 2 runs on the dragon.rode 3 more days in the mountainsfor a total of 1500 miles with no leaks....in october i went on a 80 mile ride to eat and coming back got in a traffic jam that caused the bike to run at temps that cut the fans on ...the bike leaked......the water temps never got in the hot range.....the next day i field stripped the front end to try and see where it was leaking and filled the overflow to the proper level , cranked the bike and let it idle for 30 mins....it cycled the fans with no leaks....i rode it that thurs, friday and saturday without any leaks. then when i rode it sunday it leaked....i have put 25000 miles on the bike since ive owned it...the bike runs great, no water in the oil, no water in the tailpipes, and no oil in the water that i can tell....honda wants an open check book to try and fix it...they think it is a head gasket but have not done a hydro carbon test on the coolant....help

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
imported post

I would look at the water tubes and check for signs of leaks.

These are from a 98 1500 but should give you a start.

·
Premium Member
1,437 Posts
imported post

You said it leaked twice. Can you be a little more specific about the leak and location.

Can you smell the antifreeze. Left or right side. Dealer thinks it is a head gasket but you said it leaks. How much fluid do you think you are loosing?

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Be sure and check the thermostat, might want to change it and antifreeze.

Also, check the rubber gromet on the top of the resevoir, it has the elbow overflow tube going in from the radiator.

I also have seen a friend's leak from the bottom of the resivoir tank too. There are 2 locator **** sticking down. One didn't fit into the hole on the frame, caused it to squash and a leak started. We found that by looking up into the frame neck area under the forks above the fender.

Let us know what you find.

·
1,716 Posts
imported post

IF you sometimes see a little coolant on the ground ,under the front end off the engine , after you parked it , it is wery likely the water pump . There is a 6mm. hole in the water pump housing , and sometimes a 1500 will leak there = you shaft seal is worn.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.